SOLD/EXPIRED 2001 Hell's Bay Waterman 16'

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by evan_ott@yahoo.com, May 14, 2015.

1. evan_ott@yahoo.com

evan_ott@yahoo.com I Love microskiff.com!

2001 16' Waterman (Fighting lady yellow with tan deck.)
    -02' tiller Mercury 40hp 2stroke (estimating 150hrs)
    -01' Ram-lin trailer with 14" aluminum wheels. (Tires and bearings were replaced just over a year ago.)

Skiff still needs some minor issues fixed from the tiller conversion so I'm going to drop the price to accommodate those. (Hole in starboard gunnel and rear deck from binnacle and steering cable.) Everything works and runs fine. Skiff has been amazing. Just got a shot at a 17.8 Pro for a price I can't turn down. Asking $19,500, call or text for more pics or info (386)7four7-9one66. Skiff is located in New Smyrna Beach.

Thanks,Evan

[​IMG]

2. pt448

pt448 Well-Known Member

Damn, you're killing me, Smalls! You couldn't have waited for me to graduate? lol, glws. :'(

3. Poon4u

Poon4u I Love microskiff.com!

Is this the one you bought from the guy in Georgia about a year ago???

4. evan_ott@yahoo.com

Yes it is. Paid $17,400 for it and have put about 4k into it with the tiller conversion, repower, and rewire. Looking to sell farely quick.  I'm ready to pick up the next one.   :D :D

5. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

6. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

You will love the 17.8, it's a bad ass skiff. Good luck with the sale, shouldn't take long.

7. joeeth

joeeth I am a land locked saltwater fisherman

serious question here. why is this priced so low?

this looks like a steal at 19.5 based on prices i have seen others.

i am 3 months from getting serious about finding a whip or waterman as my forever boat and need some schooling on the differences.

8. PastMidnite

PastMidnite Well-Known Member

The difference in the whip and waterman is the deck layout,hulls are the same,on the 18 sponsons were added. Good luck with ur sale

9. Ginclear

Ginclear I Love microskiff.com!

Joe e.
    The differences in the original Hells Bay Waterman 16s and Whiprays were in degree of finish.
    Not so much polish but features. Both skiffs come from the same plug. They are the same from
    the shear down, but the Whipray had a full polished deck with finished edges one large hatch and one
    aft crustacean hatch on the port side. The Waterman was introduced as a fishing skiff, while the
    Whipray was considered to be more of a yacht tender. The first Waterman 16s did not have side decks
    and had an open bilge with two aft hatches and rolled edges and no liners. Consequently, they were super
    light. The Waterman 16 which we own, for example was, according to the ID numbers, the first Waterman
    16 built. It has no sidedecks, no liner, an open bilge, weighs 340 lbs and drafts 3", motor(25 Merc) and fuel.
    They called this model the "Mosquito Lagoon Edition". Hells Bay being a custom shop, you could also order
    this configuration with side decks. This is essentially what Spruce Creeks skiff is. If I were him, you would
    never get that skiff from me. They don't know how to make them that light and that strong anymore. The
    Whiprays, having more bells and whistles were necessarily heavier. This was the original idea for separating
    the two models. The early Whiprays had a deeper, lower splash rail which was later raised because it could
    cause some wave slapping when poling. So the very first Whips are different from the 16s in that feature.
    Later, again because Hells Bay is a custom shop, things became a little confusing. You could order a Whipray
    with no liners and no side decks for example, or a Waterman 16 with side decks and a liner or just about any
    way you wanted it. So the differences became a little blurred. Then, after Broderick took over and Gordon
    left, Gordon bought the Waterman 16 and 18 molds and names and began producing Gordon Waterman 16s
    and 18s. His 16s did not use kevlar and the 18s did, so Gordons 16s might be a little heavier than the original
    Hells Bay 16s.

Fast forward, Peterson buys Hells Bay and the Waterman molds and names and brings Gordon back. Also, the
    Whipray gets redesigned like the 17.8 Professional did, widening the stern and fading the splash rails aft.
    Then the Whipray Classic is introduced, from the original molds with no liner and apparently the Waterman 16
    is dropped from the menu. Bottom line, if light and strong is important to you, the early HB 16 Watermans can
    not be beaten. If one comes up for sale, well, i know what I would do. In fact, I did it.

By the way if this is not enough information for you, read Chris Morejohns Blogspot. He covers this subject
    more thoroughly and more accurately than I attempted to do.

Interesting, isn't it that Morejohn and Gordon are teaming up on a new skiff and Morejohn used the 17.8 hull
    as a starting point. That is a project that I will watch with optimism.

not2shabby and commtrd like this.
  10. evan_ott@yahoo.com

Joe, in my opinion it's priced just right. This isn't a redone skiff. Or an old garage find. The boat has been used since it was bought back in 01'. So it does show some wear. But by no means is it beat up. Looking to get off her fairly quickly so I thought I'd just leave the BS aside and ask exactly what I think it's worth and will take. Also tiller skiffs seem to be a little harder to sell. You either love them or hate them.

11. joeeth

joeeth I am a land locked saltwater fisherman

great info guys and much appreciated.

i have had very small skiffs (river hawks and a stumpknocker) and while they caught fish and i loved them i haven't been satisfied with the fit and finish.

that is why have been eyeing some of the older HB skiffs as i feel no one is ever disappointed in owning one.

Again, thanks for the history lesson. maybe i will be the only owner of an HB in Tennessee soon.

12. jboriol

jboriol I Love microskiff.com!

That will be a nice skiff for someone. GLWS

13. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Spruce,

What's the overall height of your poling platform?

14. evan_ott@yahoo.com

Ill have to get back with you tomorrow. It did however used to clean an 01' Yamaha 40hp 4stroke 20" shaft on a manual jack plate. So it's pretty tall. I'd say 8" taller than the original one.

15. evan_ott@yahoo.com

Want it gone this week. Make me an offer.

16. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

I'll buy your rear platform. If your willing to separate. ;)

17. evan_ott@yahoo.com

What's the hight on yours Capt? If yours would clear my motor I would consider trading you.

18. evan_ott@yahoo.com

It's funny how life works out. After pulling my skiff off the market me and my girlfriend decided to take her dog to disappearing island today. After hanging out for an hour or so I was approached by a man and his son. His son had seen my skiff on here but thought it had sold within a few days like most. After talking with his dad for a good half hour or so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It wasn't quite what I had her listed for, but pretty damn close. Before I could turn around to go get my phone to get his information my girlfriend said "It's no longer forsale Sr. Sorry!" And that is why she is my girlfriend. We are looking at buying a house in the NSB area right now and the extra cash would have been nice. That is originally why I listed her. That and I have a shot at an 03' 17.8 Pro that's coming to market in the next couple of weeks. Needles to say I was very surprised my girlfriend had said that. Being it was her idea to list the skiff in the first place. I don't get to use her as much as I'd like with my new job at the post office. But when I do she knows how happy she makes me. The skiff has literally done everything I could ask a skiff to do and way more.

[​IMG]

A couple pics of last night dock fishing. Decided to pic the skiff up Saturday night so I could sleep in before going out on Sunday. Went to my little snook dock and was greeted by some little snooklets and micros.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]