Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 100 of 186 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,456 Posts
We tried to talk you out of changing the layout of the original. And you did not ask opinions about who would be able to restore the original. On the plus side, you still have the hull and it can be restored to original condition.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
We tried to talk you out of changing the layout of the original. And you did not ask opinions about who would be able to restore the original. On the plus side, you still have the hull and it can be restored to original condition.
Let me get this right... because I wanted to add a real side console I deserve to have money and parts stolen from me?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,456 Posts
Deserving has nothing to do with your situation. I would not trash talk your choice and I apologize for my offensive comments. Good luck on your restore.

Steve

·
Bait Hater
588 Posts
Let me get this right... because I wanted to add a real side console I deserve to have money and parts stolen from me?
Is this ongoing still or are you open to discuss more in depth what happened? Just curious what happened? I never knew there was a negative stigma surrounding JG but i guess so? Has this sort of stuff happened in the past to other clients? Always thought of him as one of the best in the industry but with the looks of it, that is not the case at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Is this ongoing still or are you open to discuss more in depth what happened? Just curious what happened? I never knew there was a negative stigma surrounding JG but i guess so? Has this sort of stuff happened in the past to other clients? Always thought of him as one of the best in the industry but with the looks of it, that is not the case at all.
It's still ongoing so I don't know want to get into all the details, but I will say... I paid Glasser in advance and he didn't live up to his end of the deal. He didn't finish the boat, stole parts and kept the money I gave him for new parts.

Glasser is a nice enough guy and you want the small shops to do well but this guy is nothing but a criminal. He offered me Flip Pallot's old skiff until mine was finished, as long as I didn't tell anyone. Luckily, a majority of our communication happened over text so everything's recorded.

I blame no one but myself for being in this situation as I should've done better research.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Even if you researched you would have found that he has done some amazing work, my boat included. Sad to hear this turned out so poorly. Wondering if he used your money to get his own skiff completed. I heard of another poor experience from another member recently with JG as well.

Brazilnut had a similar issue with him a couple years ago and had nothing but horrible experiences to relate. Guess he was telling the truth.

·
Bait Hater
588 Posts
It's still ongoing so I don't know want to get into all the details, but I will say... I paid Glasser in advance and he didn't live up to his end of the deal. He didn't finish the boat, stole parts and kept the money I gave him for new parts.

Glasser is a nice enough guy and you want the small shops to do well but this guy is nothing but a criminal. He offered me Flip Pallot's old skiff until mine was finished, as long as I didn't tell anyone. Luckily, a majority of our communication happened over text so everything's recorded.

I blame no one but myself for being in this situation as I should've done better research.
Damn, sorry to hear all that. That is pretty shady stuff and unfortunately, pretty common in the marine industry i feel. Hope all works out and you get that bad ass skiff finished right and back on the water

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Damn, sorry to hear all that. That is pretty shady stuff and unfortunately, pretty common in the marine industry i feel. Hope all works out and you get that bad ass skiff finished right and back on the water
I appreciate it. They always say, "if you want something done right.. do it yourself" so I plan on doing most the work myself - minus painting. I've been talking with a local Charleston shop, Spartina Company about spraying the topside. The owner Micheal really knows his stuff so I'm confident in his ability to do the job.

Here's what I've done so far after picking the skiff up...

The original wiring didn't use a fuse block so I thought it might be a good idea to start fresh.

The false walls were removed in both stern lockers so I'll run the hoses/cable farther back to save some room. A quick patch job on the old holes and she'll be good as new.

The center hatch wasn't complete so I needed to either use a router or sand it. I'm more comfortable with my sanding abilities, so I rigged up a a yard stick to keep my lines straight.

Before I finished the center hatch I wanted to make sure that I get all the mount holes drilled. I also decided to mount the poling platform.

I mounted some starboard blocks under the forward platform mounts to help dissipate the pressure.

Cut out the base for the platform.

I never realized starboard sands like wood. I had to make some adjustments to fit around the weld lines.

She's starting to take shape.

She still needs a lot of sanding before she's ready for paint, but I'll get her there. I think I may add a small partition between the stern lockers to act as a bilge area. If I'm doing this much work I might as well go all out... fuck it.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,617 Posts
Man, I feel for you...what a nightmare! After 7 months that's all he did? Un-F'n real.

It sure looks to me like your project was used to bankroll the tooling and creation of the parts and hull of the first Glasser 17.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm curious about the coaming or lip that sticks up all the way around. I have an 01 waterman and my decks are flush.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I'm curious about the coaming or lip that sticks up all the way around. I have an 01 waterman and my decks are flush.
Yeah, it's a little different. This was the "Mosquito Lagoon" edition which meant it had no floor, no liner, and no cap. HB made a few of these, but quit producing them because of the labor invovled in hand laying the bow deck, stern lockers... etc.

Doing this kept the boats extremely light... I believe around 325lbs, but left the finish with a rolled edge. Every mosquito lagoon I've seen is a little different... some have smooth edges while others are more pronounced.

The only thing that bugs me about these skiffs is the non-skid pattern. I may extend the pattern on mine to be closer to the edge.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
578 Posts
Very sorry to see how things went down, I can totally feel your pain. That is a great rig, she'll come out awesome!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
the floor and liner are the same thing. Mine is also a tiller, no liner and has no walkable gunnels.
A floor and liner are different... liners have floors, but not all floors have liners.

I can see your skiff has a lip which the platform is mounted to. The one on mine is just more pronounced. I'd imagine there was probably some inconsistencies because they were all done by hand.

81 - 100 of 186 Posts