SOLD/EXPIRED 2001 16' Hewes Redfisher....Micro?????...

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by TomFL, Aug 23, 2008.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Not sure if this classifies as a "Micro" or not, but it is the smallest Redfisher....! :)

I've got an '01 light blue 16 redfisher with a 2-stroke 90 horse yammy/stainless prop that was rewired and re-rigged by Mike at Master Repair in November of '05.

NEW in Nevember '05: Color lowrance M68 GPS/finder, Standard/Horizon phantom VHF with removeable mic and removeable Digital antenna/base, triple odyssey batteries, onboard 110v charger, 2 livewells, Minn Kota RT80 bow with Mike's handle and removeable base plate, stainless seat hinges, Lenco actuators, racor filter and fuel line, steering wheel with mercy-knob, helm and steering cable.

Basically it's an '01 hull and motor with all new in '05 wiring, electronics and accessories. Motor runs PERFECT, these things are bulletproof. Am having motor checked up and new water pump installed this week for new buyer.

In June of '06 the performance AL trailer was fitted with new hubs, 3 new radials, 3 new rims, LED lights and wiring. Trailer is a folding tongue Aluminum Performance trailer that should easily fit a standard garage.

The boat comes with a 21' glass pushpole, a birdsall bow casting platform/rod holder and a custom blue boat cover.

Since I bought it boat has pretty low hours, fished about 1-2 days a week.

Cosmetically the boat has the normal scratches/scrapes that a fished boat has, so if you're looking for a trailer queen in pristine condition, please look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a good, reliable fishing machine this may be what you are looking for.

Asking $14,750. Located in Palm City, FL, right off 95 and turnpike.

You can reach me at 772-521-9990. PLEASE no calls after 10PM.

Will post pics in a day or two.

Thanks

-Tom

2. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

well, if the Emerger & HPX on the home page qualify, this Redfisher surely does. :)

btw, thats one versatile skiff for sure, even the 18 for that matter. :cool: Good luck with the sale, should make someone a fine rig for anything inshore/nearshore, its seaworthy as all get out and holds its own in all but the skinniest of skinny too.

3. captnron

captnron Guest

What he said [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

What can I say, deerfly nailed it. ;)

Someone is going to get a great rig. :cool:

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Truth be told the thing that attracted me to the 16 over the 18 was the fact that 99% of the time I fish alone or with one other person. There is plenty of room on the 16 for 2 adults, or even 1 adult and two kids, and it's more economical to buy and run that the 18 redfisher, which my buddy had and I spent many a day fishing on as well.

With the yammy 90 this setup will run well over 40mph under the right load/conditions, and still gets about 4 mpg, which is darned good. Plus the smaller boat is significantly easier to tow and it'll fit in a garage. Trust me if it's too rough on the water for the 16, you don't want to go out on the 18 either.

The boat is the perfect little do-everything rig that is a good compromise for all things. It's not the shallowest drafting boat out there, but has more "V" than a super-skinny rig for getting there and back in comfort or safety if the wind picks up. It doesn't handle the rough water as good as a conventional deep-vee center console, but it drafts a whole lot less and allows you to fish the flats that a CC wouldn't. Plus it slips under low bridges allowing you to get back into creek channels that other boats can't.

And..I have caught everything from sailcats to sailfish off this boat, if anyone is interested in it's seaworthiness. Granted you wouldn't want to venture offshore when it's blowing 25 out of the north, but pick your days and you can run to the reefs safely, or run the beaches for snook and tarpon.

The boat has everything that a fisherman could want, from pushpole to bow casting platform to the RT80, to the removeable VHF. It just needs to get to an owner who will put it to good use.

-T

5. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Pics.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

moooooooore pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. deerfly

sweet, thats a fishin' machine right there. :cool:

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Update on the Redfisher 9-7-08:

On Friday I took the boat to Mike at Master Repair to have him go through the electrical system and check it out. He found everything to be in perfect working order with the exception of two things:

First, the trolling motor batteries. As you know, the Odyssey batteries are not cheap (about $225 each at Mike's shop) but I feel they are the best choice for this boat, being they are small and light. He found them to be slowly losing their charge, which signifies the start of the downslope of the batteries' life. I have lowered the price of the boat to reflect a $500 discount off the original asking price to cover the cost of new batteries and the time to have the shop replace them, so the new owner will have 2 brand new odyssey batteries for the trolling motor (or 2 new ordinary batteries and cash in your pocket should you not choose to replace them with odyssey batteries), along with their new 3-year full replacement warranty. The starting battery (also an Odyssey) checked out perfect, as did the charging system and related electrical work.

Additionally, Mike replaced all the circuit boards in the Minn-Kota trolling motor, as he originally wasn't sure where the problem existed. They were replaced under warranty, which was nice.

I do have receipts for the work completed from Master Repair of course.

My goal is to sell the boat to an owner in the shape that I'd like to buy a boat in; 100% reliable, something you can turn the key and go fishing in whenever the urge arises. I do hope the efforts I've made recently to have the boat checked out extensively and replace anything that was even slightly iffy (the batteries, circuit boards and the water pump) reflect that, and indeed give a buyer the confidence in knowing what they are getting should be as trouble free as a new boat, at a significantly lower cost.

Thanks for the interest in the boat, and I'd love for you to come by and check it out.

-Tom

9. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

Very nice boat...Someone will get a good one! Good luck
    with the sale. :)

10. deerfly

Wow, you're really doing it right my friend. Someone is definitely going to end up with a solid value here. I know I said it above already, but anyone looking for a single skiff to do a lot Fl inshore/near shore fishing this boat most certainly should be on their short list.

btw - Its minor but you didn't mention the 30 gal fuel capacity. ;)

11. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Thanks Deerfly, I'm kinda old-school and want to make sure the boat is 100% right for a new owner. I know buying a boat used can be a risk if you meet up with the wrong seller, and that's why I'm going the distance to make sure it's as trouble-free as a new boat should be. I will be happy to have a compression test, etc. done by a mechanic in the prospective buyers' presence as well, so there's no question as to what they are buying.

I like to sleep well at night and want to make sure whoever buys this rig will too.

Also, I didn't mention the fuel capacity you're right. And that makes for some incredible range, but really with the 90 there's no reason to ever fill it up, as it's good on gas and there's no sense lugging a ton of gas around when you're not gonna use it.

Here's a yamaha test report on a similiar setup that I dug up for a guy who is interested in the boat: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_otb_2StrokePerf_HPMidPort_90hp_03-40-MAV-C.pdf

Honestly I'd deduct 10-15% from their published figures as they are showing about 10-15% greater efficiency in the hull as far as top speed (granted they have no fishing gear on board for the test!!), so I'm assuming that's gotta translate evenly into them having equally better economy as well. Still, if this thing's getting ~5mpg that's killer. I always banked on 3mpg if I was running a long distance as a really safe "never run out" figure, and I've made some ~60 mile out-and-backs with this thing and never even came close to running low.

Did I mention I'd really like to move this thing as I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to pull the string on an LT25? I've got 2 boats now, and I really don't envision adding a third going over well on the homefront, so this one's gotta go before I can do anything.

Actually if anyone's looking for a package deal on this and the brownie's dive unit I have listed let me know, brother you'll be set for anything!!!!!!

-T

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

OK, just put on two brand new Odyssey PC1200 trolling motor batteries to the tune of almost $500, so the boat is again truly turn-key ready for fishing!!

Of course, I've bumped the price back to the original asking price of $14,750.

Batteries are covered with a 3-year warranty!

Did I mention this boat's got MOJO??

[​IMG]

Even catches lovely women-folk who can fish (sorry fellas she isn't included in the deal  ;D):

[​IMG]

Sailfish on a calm day? NO PROBLEM MON!!

[​IMG]

And apparantly Northern Right Whales find the hull DEAD SEXY as on two seperate occasions I've had different ones come within TOUCHING distance to this boat. That's big fish MOJO man!!!

[​IMG]

More full-size pics of the hull are available in the photobucket album by right-clicking on the photos, click "properties", copy that address and paste into your browser.

THIS BOAT IS COMPLETELY CHECKED OUT INSIDE AND OUT.

TRULY TURN-KEY AND NEEDS NOTHING!! RIGGED TO FISH!!

I will gladly have the motor checked out by a mechanic in your presence should you make an acceptable offer!

BUY THIS BOAT!! :)

CATCH FISH!!  :) :)

SEE WHALES!!!  :) :) :)

-T

13. deerfly

now yer talkin' :cool:

14. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I am so glad I got the last few photos in the right order, my wife would have shot me dead if I mistakenly posted her pic under a title "whale"

:) :) :)

-T

15. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Officially off the market.

-T

16. captnron

captnron Guest

Might be best in the long run. It's a great boat. :cool:

17. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Exactly why I can't seem to part with it. Tough to replace this boat at any cost for my style of fishing.

-T

18. deerfly

yeah, I honestly can't believe someone didn't jump on that thing. Gotta be the economy.

19. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Funny thing, one year ago I put one post up on the MHP forum in reply to someone who was asking questions about the 16 hull, saying that I might be interested in selling mine in the near future. I was abslutely flooded with emails, and told people I was looking for around 16g's for it but wanted to finish fishing the mullet run with it. I honestly had 3 people who were on a waiting list to buy the boat when I decided to list it, which I just couldn't bring myself to do.

Fast forward one year, of course those buyers are gone and the economy has certainly changed. Funny what a difference a year makes!

The good thing is that I've been out using the boat again after a while of not fishing on it, and I just can't seem to let it go. It's a little do-everything kinda boat.

I just may ask to be buried in this boat, eyelids pinned open at the helm!

-T

20. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

bump for a clean looking boat