Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to test run a 2000 pathfinder 17t with 2000 Yamaha 60. I’ve read lots of things about this boat recently, just doing my research. He says previous owner had stringers replaced which seemed to be an issue with these from the threads. What things would y’all look for in this boat? I’m pretty mechanically inclines in general but not specifically with boats

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,387 Posts
Run it hard and when you get to the ramp check for water in the hull and listen for thumping/loose stringers. These early Pathfinders and Mavericks are notorious for water intrusion while running and stringer issues (which you stated have been fixed). It can be fixed but you might want to know that before you buy it. My Maverick had the water in hull issue and it was coming from around the rubrail and transom area.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
707 Posts
I'd ask for some kind of documentation on the stringer repair — paperwork, pics, something.

And yes, pull the plugs on an incline after running for a while and see how much water is in the bilge.

On my 17T, I ended up pulling the rubrail, taking all the fasteners out of the hull-deck joint, cleaning out the old sealant, patching the old holes, and then putting it back to together with 5200 and new fasteners in new holes. Much "tighter" feeling in small chop now and no water in the bilge. It's do-able on your own but definitely not what you'd call fun.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Might want to bring a stick or something to defend yourself from the swarms of ladies that are going to mob you when you pull up to the ramp with it. But seriously, other than stringers and cap, I think they're pretty solid skiffs. If it isn't propped right the stern is going to slide in a turn and it can feel a little scary, but a good prop fixes it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pointers. Had to delay the test drive to next week because his father is in hospital with a bad artery. How long should I run it? 20-30 min of cruising with the occasional burst of wot? Hopefully the weather is nicer next weekend. It’s a bit chilly for my Texas blood

1 - 6 of 6 Posts