SOLD/EXPIRED 2000 Hells Bay Guide 25k

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Bluwave, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Bluwave

Bluwave Well-Known Member

Not mine but seems like a good deal.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Hells-Bay-Boat-Works-Inc-Guide-647091

2. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

Since it's not your boat, I will feel free to comment.

25k for 15yr old boat that will need a new 6-8k motor soon seems crazy to me vs some of the newer HBs available on the market right now.

Figure 25k + like 5k (discounted cost of a new motor in 1-5 years). Your real cost is something closer to 30k. And you can get a 2010-2012 for ~35k.

I have to believe, whether it was built by Chris Morejohn or not, that buying a 3 year old boat and paying ~5k more for it than a 15yr old boat is a good decision.

3. ratsix

ratsix Well-Known Member

I'd pay more for a '55 Bel Air than a new one.
    Theres more to it than age of the fiberglass. Even if it is more story than science, it doesn't matter - supply and demand will set the price.

4. JESUS_ROMERO

JESUS_ROMERO I Love microskiff.com!

Well maybe if people would stop buying these skiffs at a premium price possibly the sellers would come to the senses. I agree and would purchase a newer skiff. From what I have seen in this forum if you thought you got a good deal on a older HB you have to dump a lot of money into them to get them to what it should be. And that is the behind $ that the new owners dont share with everyone. They show it when they bought it, the rehab and then the final finished boat. I just cant imagine buying a a used boat for what it almost cost brand new back then and still a money pit.
    My thoughts.

5. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Just curious, what is this skiff worth in your mind? What should the selling price really be?

6. fishman

fishman I Love microskiff.com!

HB worth every dime.   :)   This boat will sell no problem.

7. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Only reason it is still for sale is because it's getting close to the age where no one wants to finance it. Still not a bad deal, just needs to find someone willing to spend the cash on it...

8. ratsix

ratsix Well-Known Member

If you are contemplating, I would advise asking the owners of older HB. My boat was original, in perfect shape, and it has not cost me a dime in restoration. (Granted it had a brand new motor). It floats in less and runs skinnier and drier than others of the same model I have fished in.

I know others that have spent money redoing them, but they haven't lost money.

Hell, maybe I was just incredibly lucky!

9. Bluwave

Bluwave Well-Known Member

People are paying crazy prices for these boats right now because they're hard to find and worth every penny. If you've ever taken a ride or poled one you know what I'm talking about. That being said I personally wouldn't pay over 20k for this boat.

1. Not a fan of the layout. The O'bannon edition has a much better layout.

2. Not a fan of the motor. I would re-power with a Yamaha 90 2-stroke or 70 4-stroke.

3. Trailer needs to be replaced.

4. I prefer the side console, because a center console adds weight and takes up space.

The market is what it is and that boat will sell for around 25k all day.

10. pt448

pt448 Well-Known Member

I find all the comments about the old HB's being listed for too much funny. Last I checked, this was America and a guy can ask whatever price he wants to for his boat. Everyone has the freedom to choose to buy it or not buy it. Why not try to get as much as you can for it? It's called a free market system. Enjoy it while we still got it.

11. crisslackwater

crisslackwater I Love microskiff.com!

Next time a hurricane rolls through and you see fresh water going for $10/gallon, remember your free enterprise system.

12. ramabama

ramabama Gone Fishing

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner

13. pt448

pt448 Well-Known Member

That's why you stock up ahead of time. There's a story about an ant and a grasshopper that comes to mind. Would I spend 25-30K for a 15 year old boat? Probably not, I've got water to pay for ;). But if somebody wants to who am I to criticize?

14. fishman

fishman I Love microskiff.com!

Rat Six is absolutely correct about draft. MY 2002 HB floats shallower than ALL the new ones that I have fished. I also have a 4 stroke yamaha 70hp. I don't have one stress crack and skiff is all original, never restored. The 70 yamaha is the 3rd motor on boat with an accumulated over 1900 hours..Older HB skiffs are skinny skinny water skiffs, very well made. Old timers with older HB Skiffs will back-up the shallow draft of the older boats.

15. tunnelflat

tunnelflat Well-Known Member

Everytime an older Hellsbay comes up for sale for around 25k people say the same thing.. too much money for a 15 year old boat. But they always seem to sell for close to asking price. The main two reasons are the skiffs are worth that and three years from now when you decide you need to sell it for whatever reason they are still worth that. I cant think of any other skiff company that you can say that about. Ive seen a few other "high end" skiff brands on here sit and sit and sit and then finally sell after 10 bumps and 8 price reductions.

I personally feel a hellsbay is prob the most liquid of all boats and right behind that is an egret and there is a reason. Quality is unmatched as well as function.

16. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

For sure, and I wasn't begrudging anyone. Simply stating my POV (and my free market stance is grounded in multiple degrees, FYI).

For me, I would shell out the extra cash and get a newer one if you continue to believe that they will hold their value as they currently are. Someone very well may pay 25k for this boat. I would probably pay ~18.

17. Hunter_Allen

Hunter_Allen I Love microskiff.com!

I have an 02 w 60 Bigfoot and can attest to the draft.  Its definitely shallower than my buddy's 2010 we used to fish all the time. 

Mine is not in pristine shape, but will likely be for sale within the next year. 

18. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

I have a 01 O'Bannon with a 60Bigfoot 4stroke I just referbed. I wouldn't sell it for $25k. A new one is about $56k out the door. So if I sell mine at $28k that's half the price of new. But far more than half the boat. How is that not a good deal? These guys logic of what they were new doesn't make much sense. Whipray16s sold for under $10k back in the day. So I guess any one over $4k is a rip off money pit? Look to the world of cars and apply that logic. And as far as "old" motors. I just spent four days with my Dad, Gramps and Bro running around in a late 70s Bonita with original Rude110. It still runs like a scalded dog. New motors blow too. As far draft new/old I can't compare. But I was actually shocked at how shallow it floats. I thought my old Lostmen was skinny. But it rides much better than any other skiff I have owned so far. It's held up very well with zero stress cracks. I stripped it down and gave it a buff. Then rebuilt it with new parts to specs better than HB. Mine will be on the market in a month or so. I am having to much fun with it right now to sell.

dgt2012 likes this.
  19. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Hmmmm….how does having "Multiple Degrees" qualify you as an appraiser of classic skiffs? ::)

20. RTS

RTS I Love microkona.com!

So with your POV I should be able to get a 63 split window way cheaper than any 70's vette? :-?