Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing new 25hp Merc Sea Pro. The motor is pull start only. I would like to have both pull and electric start. The dealer says they don't make a electric start kit....

Do you experts know if there is a electric start conversion kit for a 25hp Mercury Sea Pro?

tks

·
devilray snob
2,390 Posts
I have done it...

This guy did it here: http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18085&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

You will need the starter, flywheel ring gear, solenoid, starter button harness, starter button housing, and misc wiring.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Thanks Matty, that's my conversion you referenced. :cool:

Fly Wrecker, you don't need a conversion kit as long as you understand how things are supposed to be wired up. Basically, it's just a couple of switches wired together. I recommend you gather up the part numbers you need for all the major components and then watch ebay and CL. You can save yourself a ton of $$ that way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you don't need a conversion kit as long as you understand how things are supposed to be wired up.
Thanks for your help....I'm probably over my head, Lol. I might be calling for HELP in a couple months...

I am very glad to know that it is possible.

·
devilray snob
2,390 Posts

Fly Wrecker, you don't need a conversion kit as long as you understand how things are supposed to be wired up. Basically, it's just a couple of switches wired together. I recommend you gather up the part numbers you need for all the major components and then watch ebay and CL. You can save yourself a ton of $$ that way.
Yep, you da man!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
What's the reason for replacing the flywheel?
I didn't replace the flywheel, I added the ring gear to it. Pull start motors don't come with the ring gear that has the teeth which the gear on the starter needs to spin the motor.

I bought an old, cheap flywheel so I could remove the ring gear from it and move it to my newer flywheel. Saved almost $100 that way. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi

Have you got any more info on what you did / required etc - my 2 stroke has the ring gear and I would like to attempt it also
TIA
Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts