2 stroke Mercury electric start conversion

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by FlyWrecker, Aug 27, 2012.

1. FlyWrecker

FlyWrecker Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing new 25hp Merc Sea Pro. The motor is pull start only. I would like to have both pull and electric start. The dealer says they don't make a electric start kit....

Do you experts know if there is a electric start conversion kit for a 25hp Mercury Sea Pro?

tks

2. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I have done it...

This guy did it here: http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18085&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

You will need the starter, flywheel ring gear, solenoid, starter button harness, starter button housing, and misc wiring.

3. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Thanks Matty, that's my conversion you referenced. :cool:

Fly Wrecker, you don't need a conversion kit as long as you understand how things are supposed to be wired up. Basically, it's just a couple of switches wired together. I recommend you gather up the part numbers you need for all the major components and then watch ebay and CL. You can save yourself a ton of $$ that way.

4. FlyWrecker

FlyWrecker Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help....I'm probably over my head, Lol. I might be calling for HELP in a couple months...

I am very glad to know that it is possible.

5. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Yep, you da man!

6. jschilli

jschilli I Love microskiff.com!

Boy I'd like to do this to my 40hp Johnson

7. snookman

snookman I Love microskiff.com!

We are the sellers of the sea pro engines.
    To convert the motors to electric start or remote you will have to get the parts from Tohatsu. It is possible I have had customers do this.

8. jschilli

What's the reason for replacing the flywheel?

9. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

I didn't replace the flywheel, I added the ring gear to it. Pull start motors don't come with the ring gear that has the teeth which the gear on the starter needs to spin the motor.

I bought an old, cheap flywheel so I could remove the ring gear from it and move it to my newer flywheel. Saved almost $100 that way. :cool:

10. jschilli

OK. I believe mine has the ring gear with teeth. I'll post a pic to.confirm

11. jschilli

Here's a link to what mine looks like

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0584261&ptype=&Engine=&Model=