Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been testing my new low water pickup design on my Maverick HPX Tunnel/Yamaha 70TLRZ 2 stroke/ Foreman XXX Cup three blade prop for three trips and have over 100 miles logged so far running everything from crossing the open bay in 15 mph wind at a sustained 25mph to running the back lakes fully jacked with the prop above the hull holding plane at 9mph to WOT runs down the ICW throwing a rooster tail even a bass boat guy can appreciate. I am running the motor in ways that I could not run before without the temperature alarm activating and shutting me down for a few minutes. So far I have seen no issues yet and no temperature alarms but the true test will be this summer when the flats water temperature hits the upper 80’s to low 90’s. I have no doubts about the performance and that my pickup will not ingest enough aerated water to trigger the hot horn. I have watched the hose and if there are bubbles I have yet to see them. I plan on having the pickups machined out of aluminum for a universal fit on just about any boat and outboard combination after I fab a few more and test them on other boats. I have some other components to look at for longevity but the way the prototype is I see zero issues with corrosion at the lower unit or anywhere else due to the research and materials used. I will also see if I can get some guinea pigs to let me install one that is integrated into the hull so there is a much less obtrusive install for the divas out there that like their bills flat :eek:...This isn’t the same low water pickups most of us have seen and possibly installed, it outperforms anything I’ve seen and run short of welding and epoxying a nosecone pickup on a lower unit which is expensive, time consuming and still allows trash to enter the cooling system. It also outperforms the big 1” angle tipped square tube pickup that Bob’s sells. I had one on my last boat and it worked until the grass got hoovered into the water pump and also clogged the in-line strainer I installed to counter the grass restriction issue.
After this video I hit 34.2mph GPS speed which isn’t bad at all for a prop that jumps my boat on plane in half a boat length in barely enough water to float in. When in doubt trim her out! I can’t post any photos of the actual pickup because I’ve been burned in the past several times by guys with deeper pockets than me that couldn’t resist jacking my ideas but it will come to fruition soon enough. I met Hal Chittum and his associate from Rockport a few weeks ago (thanks Ed) and they were impressed with the footage and sound interested in what I come up with in the next several months. They had a couple of low water pickup ideas that they could never get to work on a couple of Chittum tunnel hulls. I believe Jack Foreman had a hand in on the design but it hasn’t performed as planned due to ingesting air and trash. I spoke to Jack several weeks ago while he was in his deer blind up in Kansas watching squirrels and he is also eager to see what this thing can do. It was tested on a tunnel hull but I see no reason it won’t work equally well on a non tunnel hull to get that motor higher than the stock water pickups will allow. I’m all about testing limits so let’s see where it goes.
Disclaimer- NO MANATEES OR SEAGRASS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO :D

I almost forgot to mention that this is with my jackplate all the way down. I can run it all the way up and only lose about 3mph but at this speed I don’t like not having any prop below the hull...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Nice work Smack. Plenty of slack in the hose to turn all the way to port or stbd?

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Also curious what happens if the hose splits or connection fails and you are way off somewhere. Can you get back or will the motor lose too much pressure? Just asking because, well you know, stuff happens.

Reactions: State fish rob
B

·
0 Posts
Also curious what happens if the hose splits or connection fails and you are way off somewhere. Can you get back or will the motor lose too much pressure? Just asking because, well you know, stuff happens.
A proper annual maintenance comes to mind here. A quality hose won’t fail in a years time. Keeping a spare onboard would only add a few oz weight wise.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There’s no reason for the hose to split, I ran the same braided hose on my last boat’s low water pickup for almost 4 years with no failures. One of the upgrades I was referring to is clear braid backed silicone hose. That stuff won’t fail. If you are concerned you could take some backup hose and clamps and have no problem getting back to the ramp.
I’ve had my shifter cable break 15 miles from anywhere with no cell service. I fixed it with three zip ties and a screwdriver for the shifter handle and fished the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yessir it has plenty of slack, I wouldn’t run a modification like this 20 miles away from civilization if I had doubts about it’s function.
I hear ya. But I wasn't talking about YOU :). I'm talking about the Joe Dirt that installs one, leaves his boat out in the weather year round, does zero PM, etc etc.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts