2 Dress or not to Dress??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Bonecracker, Mar 19, 2018.

1. GG34

GG34 I Love microskiff.com!

Yep. CRC food grade silicon spray. I ordered it from Wal-Mart. 5.88 delivered.

2. Cronced

Cronced Well-Known Member

If you're like most people, your back cast is fine and your presentation cast needs work. Just make your presentation cast look like your back cast. Most people keep their rod tip rather high all through false casting, then "aim" on the last stroke, dropping their tip and making a big ugly loop. Keep your rod tip high just like the rest of your casting.

If this isn't it, I'm sorry!

Also, I could just as easily have said "Watch Lefty Kreh videos on youtube "

3. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

This works well, comes in 3 sizes on amazon.

Attached Files:

4. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, it's the presentation that screws me up.

5. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

You have to be careful that the silicone spray has no petroleum based products in it, which may break down the PVC coating. The food grade silicone products have no problems with the PVC coating on the fly line. But I have some silicone lubricant in a small dropper bottle that has also petroleum products in it. So those can cause problems with the PVC coating.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Backwater

Yep! This is what I've been using.

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRC-Food-G...431183&hash=item213a6d3ce4:g:5bgAAOSwjpRavpJr

I use to just spray it on a soft cloth and pull my fly line through it several times. But I admit I saw that video last year of Flip spraying it directly on the reels, so after I dress the whole fly line, the night before I go fish, I'll also give it a few squirts while it's all reeled back on the fly reel. I haven't found the need to re-apply it during the day I'm fishing. However, I dress the line either the night before or the day of my fishing trip, before I start casting for the morning. I'll also pack a small cloth soaked in either silicone spray or a good dressing like Glide and keep in a small ziplock, just incase I forget to dress it or conditions has it that the line starts to feel too dried (maybe older line) or I pick up a rod that I forgot to dress. I'm not a fan of carrying that large can with me in the boat, so unless I dress and spray the line on the reel the night before, I'm using the cloth with the spray (store in the ziplock) in the morning on the deck of the boat.

I lightly spray down my reels with it too, including my spinning reels and other offshore gear, as well as spraying all my rod guides and reel seats periodically. It coats them to prevent salt from getting to it.

What I like about this silicone spray is it tends to have an aerosol smell to it, but then the liquid evaporates and leaves a dry coating on it that is slick, instead or a wet gooey coating that tends to pick up silts and grit.

I'm putting together a near dry launch trailer and sent a text to Backbone (here on the forum) and asked what he had on the bunks of his low slung trailer he uses for his HB sled (remembering he just pushed the boat off the trailer almost dry with one hand, several times we fished together). He said he used a spray that smelled like aerosol and thought it was silicone based called "Liquid Rollers" and mentioned that it was so slick, he only used it on the back half of his carpeted bunks. So I just bought another can of the CRC Food Grade Silicone just for that purpose, to see how it does. This trailer only has carpeted bunks on it, since it's only a temporary sled. Otherwise, I'd be using nylon skids on them.

Ted Haas

Bonecracker and flatzcrazy like this.
  7. Backwater

I found a Rain-X spray bottle I have in the garage, but it clearly says to be cautious about using on plastics. So I read a few threads on other fly fishing forums that discuss this and some people mentioned that not all Rain-X products are safe for plastics and some are. The small bottle of Rain-X in the blog that Megalops posted is a little squirt bottle, so I'll be looking for that in the store and see what it says. If I find the right one, I'll get it and compare it to the silicone spray I use.

Ted

8. nativejax

nativejax Well-Known Member

I use the rio cleaner pads and then the food grade silicone but not in the aerosol form, they have one a bunch of scuba people use in a little pump spray bottle. I can control it a little better.

9. flatzcrazy

flatzcrazy I Love microskiff.com!

Do you what the brand is that comes in the pump spay bottle?

10. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

Look for Trident food grade silicone on Amazon

11. nativejax

nativejax Well-Known Member

Backwater likes this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal Active Member

Flip Pallot recommends, food grade silicon spray. Just a shot to the line on the reel every so often.

13. Backwater

Update!!

Sprayed a full can of that CRC Food Grade Silicone (delivered under $6) on all 4 carpeted bunks on the low slung trailer that I just customized for ultra low water launching. Even if the hubs are not underwater, I can unhook the winch buckle and with just one hand, can easily slide the boat off the trailer with just one push, while holding a bow line to retrieve the boat. On the flip side, it loads like a dream, again, without the hubs being under water (just a bit of the 2 inner center bunks underwater). The trailer is just level enough to keep the boat from sliding back off when I walk up front to hook the winch strap on the bow eye. Even in super shallow water, the boat winches on with ease. You just can't walk on the bunks or you'll bust yer a*s! ;) I'm guessing like anything, I'll have to re-apply a new can, prolly once a year.

Btw, I shoot that silicone in my door locks and hinges around the house, door seals, sliding glass doors on the track and rollers. The stuff works amazing and my front door lock and latch has never worked so easily.

Again, the stuff is amazing on my fly lines and I haven't noticed any buildup on my reels or rod guides.

Whoops!!! I'm out! Time to order another can! ;)

Ted Haas

Danimal, Rick hambric and flatzcrazy like this.