Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1st timer doing a rebuild/restore

2780 19
Been lurking on this forum for a little bit now. Up in New Jersey small " micro-skiffs" are hard to come by. So in my daily routine i came across a small boat labeled as a Wenzel 13. Only research i could find on these boats were for Wenzel 14's. Anyway wound up picking up the hull for $350. Its basically a fiberglass row boat with some foam in the seats. Flat back with a V entry. Going to strip the seats out and put a floor in. Saw someone on this forum do one up super simple and nice. Hoping to make this a little Kayak killer, and something my nephews can put around the lagoon in. First time i am ever going to be playing with fiberglass and such. Wish me luck! Ill update as i go.

Vehicle Boat Dinghy
Vehicle Transport Jon boat Automotive exterior Boat
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Automotive exterior Bass boat
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be a fun project! Have you chosen any materials yet?
No Clue! lol Was kind of thnking id use marine ply for stringers and transom. Then maybe a honey comb for the decking? Still researching alot to see what i can/should be useing.

If money was no option i would be going nuts with the composites. But for a first time build i dont feel like making costly mistakes.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of inspiration in the bragging section. One of my favorite quick ones for a small craft was:
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/14-rivercraft-rebuild-into-flats-skiff.17276/
Thank you for the link. I was wondering about how to construct the bulkheads. A quick glance at that thread and it has a lot of good info. Thank you.

Also if it wasn't for microskiff.com i would probably be waiting another 5-7 years and buying something pre-built.

Hopefully i can get the Wenzel into the garage this weekend and start the tear down. Going to setup the go-pro and use a digital camera. So i can be cool and document the build like the rest of the guys lololol

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful with that bottom paint - very bad for you.

You won't need luck - you got all the support you need right here on the forum.
Thank you Sir!

I used to have a wenzel. Very good little boat. I actually loved the stock set up. I painted it then fished the hell out of it. The rear is already like a small deck
It is a nice simple setup. I just would like to add some coreing, and possibly some foam flotation as im hoping this may be a rig my nephews can learn boating basics in.
As for the Badges ill let you know. I like them, but if i decide to name the rig ill have new badges re-printed in the new name. So if that happens ill def. shoot you a message

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had about 2 hours yesterday to start cutting. probably removed about 80 pounds of soaked foam just from the 2 cut sections alone. Also got my first peak at the transom core. Looks tasty.
Wood Brick Rectangle
Wood Rock
Wood Rock Tree

· Panhandler
4,292 Posts
You've got your work cut out--literally--for you. But take your time and it'll be a fun project. Lots of experience and knowledge on here to tap into.

Keep us posted on the progress. The finished skiff will be good for poking around the back bays up there.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeez, no one told me this was going to be such a pain in the ass lol. In the little time I have had to work on this, yesterday I was able to remove 1 layer of transom. 2 sheets of 3/4 in this. Made a cut along the bottom of the fiberglass and water started pouring out. Guy before me thought it was a good idea to through bolt the engine on below the water line. Hoping to be able to get the last of the transom out and transom template made Wednesday on my day off.
Now do i have to go with a 1.5 inch transom still? I am going to do coosa for the transom. I thought i could get away with 1inch for the transom. Two 1/2 inch sheets bonded together. I thought this would be more than enough for a 20 Zuki or Tohatsu.

Now im unsure since i also see other guys doing 1.5 thick for transom.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
Are you removing the transom core from the inside or the outside? Did you leave any of the existing fiberglass (as a lip to tie into) on the inside or outside. If so, you need to go back with the same core thickness .

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you removing the transom core from the inside or the outside? Did you leave any of the existing fiberglass (as a lip to tie into) on the inside or outside. If so, you need to go back with the same core thickness .
I am removing it from the inside. I did not want to really have to worry about re glassing the outside by taking the transom out in that direction. So the outside piece of glass will still be intact. So inside will be just one piece of glass. Will Make transom template for inside. Cut coosa to fit. Fillet coosa board into place. Let that dry, then glass in from the inside.

From what i know / how I am doing this, i will be able to do w.e transom is necessary for the transom. But do i just say screw it and do the 1.5 inch in case i add a jack plate down the road?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.