1999 Pathfinder 17t Stereo Issues

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by restlesswoodie, Jul 9, 2013.

1. restlesswoodie

restlesswoodie I Love microskiff.com!

I have a '99 Pathfinder 17t that I am constantly having trouble with the stereo. I have it mounted under the seat where I sit in the back left corner of the compartment The stereo does not get direct water just moisture, I have been through 4 marine grade units (2 different brands) and am now heading back to Bass Pro to replace another. Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

2. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

My opinion that any boat designed to get that skinny will reject anything that makes noise like the human body pushes out splinters. Just kidding I have no advice to correct marine stereo issues but could not resist.

3. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

how are you getting moisture in the rear hatch? It does not happen to mine, just wondering. can you put it in the console, if you have one?

4. restlesswoodie

restlesswoodie I Love microskiff.com!

I'm not sure how water is getting in there, not a lot just a small amount. I do not have a center console.

5. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

There's also the possibility that the problem is caused by vibration. Not so much on the water, but during trailering. Try moving the unit to a different spot or removing while towing.

Have your trailer wheels been balanced lately?

6. Apeacock

Apeacock I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 99 side console 17T and I've got a stereo that was installed by the former owner. While I am a big fan of these boats(you find both camps) they are wet by nature, especially with condensation when the hatches are closed. When I first bought the boat I wasn't used to the moisture build up and I had problems with the stereo due to that moisture.

I have been able to mitigate this by propping open my hatches when in storage. I store mine indoors so rain isn't an issue with the open hatches.

Hope this helps.

7. tarponio

tarponio I Love microskiff.com!

PinTail check this product out. My friend showed me this one night.

You should spray all your electronics with this stuff. They even spray Iphones with this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

8. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Marine speakers are designed to get wet on occasion but not designed to be wet all the time, they ned time to dry out.

I suggest when you mount the new set to mover it to a new location.