SOLD/EXPIRED 1996 Mariner 25hp 2-stroke tiller, short shaft $300.00

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by TomFL, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Folks I have a 1996 Mariner 25hp 2-stroke short-shaft electric start tiller motor that I'm selling.

Cheap.

Obviously there is a catch.

The motor came on a project skiff I bought here on the forum, and runs strong. Starts 1st or second pull. Idles fine, runs great. Pumps water strong. I can post or email a video of the motor starting and running if you'd like. I would also be happy to take you for a test spin on the water with it, but the only hull I've got that doesn't have a motor bolted to it is a 13 footer, so I will tell you up front I seriously doubt we'd be able to run it WOT.

Here's the bad news: It looks rough and needs some TLC, it had a cracked cowling when I got it and I've patched it and was prepping it for paint but I have another 25 merc 2-stroke that I'll be using on the boat so I have no use for this motor. Please note the "Mariner" decals have been removed from both sides of the cowl.

Somehow I've wound up with 7 motors laying around and don't have time to use them, let alone work on them.

When I got the motor there was no seal on one of the lower unit lube drain screws, and seemed it was leaking water. I've since put in a new gasket washer and I think the leak is fixed, although I have only ran it once since then.

Also the compression is 120 on one cylinder and 98 on the other.

The electric start does not work, but the starter itself seems to work. Previous owner had about 16 wire connectors between the button and the starter so I'll let you figger it out. Or just pull start it like I did.

I wish I could fill you in more about the motor, but as mentioned I don't know much about it other than what I've learned from the one time I had it out on a hull. I ran it for probably 45 minutes off and on and it ran great.

This motor may make you real happy. It could run forever the way it is even with the compression being off, heck it's a simple 2-stroke. Someone who can spin a wrench and has some spare time may just want to buy it, rebuilt it now and put a quick paint job on it and it'd be great. Parts are cheap and plentiful on evilbay right now.

Comes with a decent AL prop (13 pitch I think).

Pics below.

Reach me at 772-521-9990. Please no calls after 10PM. Located just off I-95 and the turnpike in Palm City, FL.

Side shot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Internals:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repaired Cowl:
    [​IMG]

2. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Best deal I have seen in some time.

3. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Not sure how I wound up with this many motors honestly. I just don't have time to work on the projects.

I hope this motor will go toward making a forum member's project affordable.

4. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

if the starter works then it shouldnt be to much to make it start , probably the relay or maybe the start button, a new coat a paint and it should be good to go. good luck on the sale

5. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

If its still available I will buy it. But if I am going to drive down there to pick it up we may have to go fishing too   ;D

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Tom, it's late at night, nobody's called yet on it so if you want it it's yours. Fishing trip is included of course... :)

Keep in touch

-T

7. tom_in_orl

Sounds good. I will give you a call tomorrow.

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Motor is gone, to a good home with a forum member.

Thanks Tom, good meeting and fishing with you today.

-T

9. tom_in_orl

Good meeting you too. Thanks for the free motor. Should have at least let me buy lunch  ;D

10. JIMMYZ750

JIMMYZ750 Well-Known Member

Whoa there cowboy, you wouldn't be talkin bout my stray would ya?

11. tom_in_orl

No sir. Give TomFL a call on that one.

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Jimmy check your VM