Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have bought an Egret 189, so as much as I would like to keep this project and finish it in due time, I can only fit so much in my shop at one time!

Boat is a 1989 Bob Hewe's built Bonefisher 16. This is a pre-MBG hewes. The hull is solid glass, the stringers are wood core, the transom is plywood core, and the deck is plywood core. I have the deck seperated from the hull, cut out most of the cockpit sole, and started de-coring the transom. Plan was to restore with all composite cores.

Sitting on a galvanized trailer in decent shape. I pulled it a few hundred miles last year to get it home with no issues.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Price: $1000 (Boat and Trailer, no motor)

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Any idea what the weight was on these? Wondering if it would be feasible to convert to tiller or side console.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
For a weight on one of the old Bonefishers go to the Classics chapter, Blast from the past, on this site - and ask there... Looking at the photos you're going to be doing a full restoration and since that means a new floor (and damned nearly everything else... ) you can build a side console or set it up as a tiller skiff... I have to say, though that a tiller on a skiff that needs at least a 90 horse motor will be a bit much at the end of long day... I knew Bob Hewes for quite a few years before he passed away and he used to say that little 16 was a great small skiff... Unlike all his other hulls it was maneuverable enough to dance on it's stern... (at speed - kick the wheel all the way over and get away with it....), literally spinning the boat on it's stern with the bow straight up in the air...

That's a great project skiff... particularly when you can eliminate a lot of the weight that the interior had with glass over wood construction... Don't know if they ever did glass over foam in any part of that rig...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is still sitting peacefully in my storage unit. Bringing this back to the top with a price drop, $1000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, what condition is the trailer in? I live in upstate SC and would have to tow it home...do you see any issues with that? Also, just to rectify, you have titles for boat and trailer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts