Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1982 Mako 224 resto-mod

22K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  crboggs 
#1 ·
The goal. Take a capable old boat, clean up, refinish, and optimize it for fly fishing open water (AJs, Tarpon, Bonita, Mahi) without having to run as soon as the breeze kicks up. No bow rails, no T-top, no windshield, clean low profile console. I don't expect it'll get a lot of interest in this forum, but I'm hoping by writing this down and creating a thread it'll help me continue to stay the course and see this thing through, as I do really love the boat.

Ok, so this idea/saga started back in 2011 with the boat being bought spring of 2013. Bought the boat from a good friend (yes we're still good friends). Since I've had it the boat it has had long periods of sitting, feverish work, more long periods of sitting, setbacks, mistakes, typical boat project stuff etc...etc. I have now decided I don't need it perfect, just want it decent and done. Hopefully before/by the middle of tarpon season in N. FL this year.

What I really love about these old boats is how solid they are built, the sheer line, and overall seakeeping ability, for a boat that's a breath under 23', the 224 is one salty bastard. 20° at the stern, sharp V and plenty of flair up front. Front deck is all one level (raised higher than the cockpit) without the U shape seating most boats have.

Here's where I am currently.
Structurally the boat is very sound. Solid dry transom, solid decks, I've made superficial glass repairs here and there. Still have some spider cracking to repair. Merc 250 with newer power head. Tank was removed, discovered it had been replaced previously, pressure checked, epoxied and re installed. T-top removed, bow rails removed. Bottom paint stripped and replaced with white VC performance, hull was painted awlgrip seafoam green. Interior awlgrip Matterhorn white but had some sort of coating failure and the paint never properly cured, still in process of removing. Using some gelcoat and environment friendly stuff called back to nature. Works really well but chemically stripping paint is always a bitch, unfortunately it's the only option. The paint is too hard to scrape and too soft to sand. Rewire entire boat, still in process. Replace bilge access hatch, old removed, new on order. Console electronics removed from top, to be replaced by flush mount. Console will have teak trim added to upper edge. All other teak trim has been refinished, reinstall pending paint. Floors will be cream kiwigrip pending paint. Bow will have all flush mount hardware to prevent line fouling.

Will try to post pics soon from oldest to newest.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah I have gone back and forth on that many times. I finally decided that I will probably eventually do it when the transom needs attention. When that day comes it'll also be getting a bracket, and having the tank shifted forward to offset the bracket. These boats squat if you add the bracket without shifting some weight fwd.

#9 ·
I'll try, I've got some more pics to post showing it in its current state.
Unfortunately there's going to be another dead period for about 3 months starting next week, I have to go back to the upper Midwest for a project. Maybe I'll post updates of stuff I buy and ideas I have to get input. There's a lot of knowledge on this site.

Hey @yobata, figured I'd tag you. I'm gonna need input from some of you guys as I progress.

#50 ·
What happened to that fly reel? It's missing pieces?

Looks like a Lamson reel- my first decent saltwater reels were Lamson but after a big jack blew up the drag on on on my 10wt and as soon as I could afford it I moved to Tibor.

#21 ·
#16 ·
Looks like a great project. Only thing I'd suggest you do different is to get rid of all the teak. It looks great in your shed and for the first couple of months after it's been cleaned/oiled but later.....yuck. I've done 3 restorations and I swear I'll never put teak on any exposed areas again.

Take a look at what Dragonfly Boatworks is doing with their coatings department...very trick. They can give you any color or pattern in a UV stable coating....could look cool.

http://www.dragonflycoatings.com/Welcome.html

#26 ·
Today I pulled all new wire from the console to the bilge (not fast or easy). Replaced and re-terminated all the switches in the switch panel. Traced down the remaining old wires, labeled, then cut off and eliminated the old fuse/buss. I've never really liked the idea of a hinged console before I started this project, after today I'm really really happy I didn't have to spend multiple hours on my back and working overhead. Still have a long way to go but here are a few pics of the carnage so far.
Sewing machine Technology Electronic device Machine Furniture

Electrical wiring Wire Cable management Technology Electrical supply
Electrical wiring Wire Cable management Electrical supply Cable
Wire Electrical wiring Electrical supply Floor Metal
Electronic component Technology Electronics

Electrical wiring Electronics Wire Technology Auto part
Electrical wiring Engine Auto part Electrical supply

#27 ·
All of the paint is now stripped, with the exception of the console seat hatch, and the splash well. Removed the storage box from the console and will be flush mounting a bottom machine/gps.
Progress has been slower due to fishing, when the weather is nice. So the next few days should be good for the boat project. Including a couple recent fish pics for variety, since, let's face it stripping paint isn't interesting.
Wall Room Electronics Plaster Floor

Floor Flooring Tile Hardwood Wood

Fish Fish Bass Bony-fish Ray-finned fish

Fish Jigging Fish Fishing rod Recreational fishing

#29 ·
Late yesterday evening I broke a shift control cable while trying to force it when I had (unbeknownst to me) got it on a bind during some of my wire pulling. The jacket separated from the end sleeve. So I did a little research last night, located one and spent the first half of today fixing that. Second half of the day was rewiring and reinstalling the trim tabs. The control box and switch are wired in (for testing purposes) but not in the final mounting location. Early on in the project in a fit of frustration I cut the wires to the tabs, causing myself a good bit more work opening the cylinders and re-terminating the wires. Pro-tip don't be like me, when you're frustrated, grab a beer, not the side cutters.
Auto part Floor
Auto part

#30 ·
Installed and wired the primary and backup bilge pump, new float switch, and rewired the old baitwell pump. Will be installing new hoses on the pumps. Worked on terminating wires at the fuse panel.

I cut the wire for the bow light that was in a bind but still can't extract it from the chase. Not sure what my solution for the bow light wire will be just yet.
Electronics Electronic component Technology Electrical wiring Circuit component
Electrical wiring Wire Gas Plumbing fixture

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.