1982 Mako 224 resto-mod

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by LowHydrogen, Mar 2, 2017.

1. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Update. Had some crap in the fuel tank (long story), had to pull up the deck plate. Yesterday afternoon I decided to cut two holes in the top of the tank to properly access and clean. Tank is now spotless and access holes are welded back shut, pressure tested, and coated with Bilgekote.

Tomorrow I'll be reinstalling/sealing the deck plate, and fixing all the crap I messed up pulling the deck access up.

2. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Well @sjrobin you were right.
    Last week I decided this boat needs a different motor. Dropped it off this past Tues to have a Suzuki 250SS installed. Ended up replacing the steering system while it was there, due to some fitment issues with items from the Merc not adapting. Also the steering system was quite old. So, new helm, wheel, lines, and cylinder.
    The 250SS is the same block as the 300 so maybe going to pick up a couple mph. I'd be just as happy to have it run the same speed and burn less gas (the Merc was crazy thirsty).
    I'll report back with opinions and some numbers after break-in on the Suzuki. I'm thinking I'll have the boat back early this coming week.

3. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Well @sjrobin you were right.
    Last week I decided this boat needs a different motor. Dropped it off this past Tues to have a Suzuki 250SS installed. Ended up replacing the steering system while it was there, due to some fitment issues with items from the Merc not adapting. Also the steering system was quite old. So, new helm, wheel, lines, and cylinder.
    The 250SS is the same block as the 300 so maybe going to pick up a couple mph. I'd be just as happy to have it run the same speed and burn less gas (the Merc was crazy thirsty).
    I'll report back with opinions and some numbers after break-in on the Suzuki. I'm thinking I'll have the boat back early this coming week.

sjrobin likes this.
  4. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Good decision. Hope the big Suzuki extends the range at least thirty percent.

LowHydrogen likes this.
  5. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Will hopefully start the break in tomorrow. Guy at the shop said it ran 48 with the wrong prop. Dropped down 2 pitch so it would hit the right rpm on top end. Didn't run it with the smaller prop though. Started it in the driveway this afternoon, idling it's quieter than my Diesel pickup.... That's a welcome change.

Will update once broken in and I have some numbers.
    IMG_20170731_165543145_HDR.jpg

yobata and WillW like this.
  6. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Ran the boat Tues, 55 mi round trip, used less than 15 gal(1/8 tank), really surprising considering how much bog speed running I was having to do for the break in. Boat ran 42kts but was only getting to 5800. Spoke to the dealer and he said that once the motor reaches a certain hour threshold (50hrs) that the computer will let it rev up all the way (gives the rings time to seat). If it's still not hitting 6100 he said they'll look into a different wheel. Very happy so far.
    Screenshot (2).png

floridascuba likes this.