Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-powered a 1982 gheenoe I bought here a few years ago, and replaced the transom last month. It was rotten and needed beefing up, since my re-power was significant (3.3 to a 9.9).
If I would have matched what thickness was on the transom, I wouldn't have trusted it, So I doubled it. Looks great, I did a great job if I say so myself... pics to follow soon...
Anyhooo...
The HIN plate was corroded, and not legible.
I contacted Gheenoe, they told me the year that the boat was made, 1982, they didn't manufacture it.
Southeastern Boat and Fiberglass made it and they could not supply me with a new HIN plate since they "didn't make it".
I am searching for them, and I cannot find them on the internet.
I am close to saying heck with it, and making my own plate for it.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
253 Posts
I re-powered a 1982 gheenoe I bought here a few years ago, and replaced the transom last month. It was rotten and needed beefing up, since my re-power was significant (3.3 to a 9.9).
If I would have matched what thickness was on the transom, I wouldn't have trusted it, So I doubled it. Looks great, I did a great job if I say so myself... pics to follow soon...
Anyhooo...
The HIN plate was corroded, and not legible.
I contacted Gheenoe, they told me the year that the boat was made, 1982, they didn't manufacture it.
Southeastern Boat and Fiberglass made it and they could not supply me with a new HIN plate since they "didn't make it".
I am searching for them, and I cannot find them on the internet.
I am close to saying heck with it, and making my own plate for it.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
You do have a title or registration in your name, right? If so, one of those docs should give you the info needed to correct the situation. Before you do anything you need to find out the State of Alabama’s procedure for such a situation. The HIN is also usually engraved/embossed into the hull somewhere like the transom, but that may be gone due to the repair.

The State may have an issue if you have a title or registration , but no way to corroborate for sure that it goes with that boat since there is no HIN on the boat to match the title/registration. You are lucky that in Alabama you don’t need a title, just registration, which is crazy if you ask me. I think you might have a real easy solution but if you were in Texas or other states , you might be screwed.

BTW, Little insight for those that haven’t dealt with issues with titles, registrations, etc., and might wonder why this can be such a problem.

I’ve seen scenarios with motorcycles. Get a wrecked bike frame with clean title, get a decent bike with questionable history for cheap, (same make, model, etc. ), Put VIN from clean title on questionable bike, register and now you are.....well you get the idea. (Works great with Ducati models they never imported to the US)

I’ve seen this with used boats before too, usually a project boat, but if you know boats this hypothetical hull you are looking at is not a 16’ Larson whatever model because they never made a hull like this...but the HIN matches, and the title and registration look correct, it’s 16 feet long sooo..looks ok......I guess you are good to go.
And that’s how stolen boats get back in circulation. They’ll do it with sunk hulls, wrecked hulls, those titles are valuable.

They do it with used cars. They take those flooded cars with salvage titles they buy cheap, run them through states with lax titling and registration rules, out comes a new clean title from Oklahoma and you buy it and it sets in the shop every 6 weeks with electrical issues.

Anyway, back to topic, find out what the States position is and go from there, no use redoing a hull you can’t register and use.

Good Luck

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
777 Posts
Do you still have the HIN plate, even though it was corroded? Some people can do wonders recovering an etched plate.

I bought a small sailboat once and (stupid me) failed to check for the HIN plate. Small sailboats in Texas do not have to be registered, but I still should have looked.

When I got the boat home and discovered the missing plate, I called the seller and told him I was bringing the boat back and to get my money ready ($250.00). He laughed and said, "it is your problem now".

I simply told him my next call was to the Sheriff. I would tell the Sheriff that he sold me a stolen boat. He had my money in 15 minutes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its registered in my name.
The HIN plate was in place, and what was legible matched the registration, plus the illegible #'s.
It doesn't really matter...IF its ever stolen the HIN plate is attached by small screws...
If I ever sell it the HIN plate is important.
Is there anywhere else they could have stamped the hull?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Just have a new plate made you have the title no big deal ...

Reactions: Bert Guidry

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
It's an 80s Gheenoe as long as its registered and you have the title I say who cares about the HIN. I've never found a coastie or FWC guy who was that much of a nitpicker.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Gheenoe used to put the HIN number underneath the nose cap on the bow. I don't know if their authorized manufacturers followed the same practice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe boat manufactures actually place 2 him. On obvious on transom .. one hidden... That might have started in the mid 80s though... . Being that you have the title and hin .. I'd just have one made by someone like https://www.alumaphoto-plateco.com/products/vin-tag-replacement/hin-tags.html. When I had my boat inspected and my hin issued the game warden suggested I have one made or make one that is more permanent (since they only slap some stickers on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gheenoe used to put the HIN number underneath the nose cap on the bow. I don't know if their authorized manufacturers followed the same practice.
I have an '86 Gheenoe made by Southeastern Boat & Fiberglass. It did not have the HIN on the underside of the nose cap. Just recently, I used a Dremel and the number now is there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe boat manufactures actually place 2 him. On obvious on transom .. one hidden... That might have started in the mid 80s though... . Being that you have the title and hin .. I'd just have one made by someone like https://www.alumaphoto-plateco.com/products/vin-tag-replacement/hin-tags.html. When I had my boat inspected and my hin issued the game warden suggested I have one made or make one that is more permanent (since they only slap some stickers on.
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts