1978 Sea Nymph

Discussion in 'Bragging Spot' started by mro, Nov 27, 2019.

1. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Nothing really to brag about.
    Picked this up a little while ago and had expected to have a few days of minor repairs and then to use it in the SF Bay and local waters. But the more I looked the less I liked and it has turned into a "rebuild" rather than a repair.
    First up is the transom

transangleiron.jpg
    Inside pic, top of pic is the splash well
    Then bolted on is a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron
    exposed plywood of the transom
    aluminum u-channel w/flanges bolted thru the transom (think this is OEM)
    serial#nailed.jpg
    After removing all the bolts/screws/Trans cap... last was the serial # plate

old trans.jpg
    How would you like 60 horses attached to that :(

plywood.jpg
    Some marine ply

latout.jpg
    transom new.jpg
    fitting alum.jpg
    Fitting 3/16" aluminum plate over the 1/8" OEM plate
    trans done.jpg

trans inside.jpg

All fasteners replaced with stainless steel.
    As you can see I've already removed all the decking and in the process of cleaning the inside of the hull. Leaning towards old school vinyl to cover the deck. Like how it is easy to clean fish blood etcetera.

2. Gianni Battaglia

Gianni Battaglia Active Member

Bitchen! Starting a rebuild on my skiff now. Always liked the way the sea nymph looks.

mro likes this.

3. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

cool !

mro likes this.
  4. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Took me several hours getting the deck and aluminum supports out. Some genius previous owner actually used drywall screws to attach the aluminum supports to the ribs and then the plywood to the supports.
    Every single one was corroded/stuck and about a dozen of the screws (most on the supports) were broke off not by me but from the rust. Trusty vice grips removed them :)

deck screws2.jpg

Attached Files:

LowHydrogen and makin moves like this.
  5. Gianni Battaglia

Not looking forward to what’s going to be under my existing deck. Good on you for taking the time to remove all the previous shit.

mro likes this.
  6. mro

mro Well-Known Member

had a few minuets to work on the nymph. I moved the aluminum deck supports to better positions for their size.

nymphribs.jpg
    then made these 2 x 6's to fit.
    not pictured is a few 2" x 6" forward.

Just enough room to add some 5200 between the aluminum rib and the 2 by's.
    Pissed me off as i had to cut the first one 3 times and it was still to short ;)

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Cut some vents in the wood so air can evaporate and it can dry out under there.

Super job on the transom.

JC Designs and mro like this.
  8. mro

mro Well-Known Member

I just finished sanding those 2by's so there ready to get a few coats of epoxy, but the weather has not been cooperating lately.

...SO...

Just testing to see if I can warm them up a little.
    14w bulb is taking to long, but might be good to maintain the temp so the epoxy can cure.
    I'll try another bulb to get them warmed up tomorrow as I'm not inclined to leave something like that unattended. Right now the 2 by's are separated by 1 1/2" finish nails driven in the 2 by's about a 1/2". Figure it will take a few hours with a "hotter" bulb to get them warmed up, then coat them and re-stack in my little garage oven :)

supportwarming.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    LowHydrogen likes this.
  9. Gianni Battaglia

Where in CA are you?

10. mro

mro Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Place called Hayward (east bay)

No traffic I'm 40 minutes to Half Moon Bay launch ramp, 25 to 40 minutes for two ramps in SF Bay (Berkeley and then Richmond) An hour and 15 minuets from launching in the delta. 4 to 5 hours from all the lakes/reservoirs I haunt with my little boat. No shortage of places to go especially when I get to go when schools in and people are working :)

11. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Thanks for the complement.

It's going to be filled with foam except the one next to the transom ( I want to be able to see the drain plug and there will be one bilge pump there too).

Up front there will be three feet under a casting platform for storage and another bilge pump. So no foam there.

I'm thinking to leave 1/4" space between the deck and side of the hull but the deck for the first 4 feet will be water tight. That section of deck will only take two minuets to remove or reinstall so when the boats home I'll be taking it out at least in the beginning to see if anything is happening that I might not like.

12. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Got around to doing a little more to the Nymph.

forwardbulkhead.jpg

3/4" marine ply cut to fit and add support the hull. Will be sealed, and made water tight when installed.

fbulkplastic.jpg

Had some 1/4" thick plastic left over from other projects which found their new home here :)

hatch2.jpg

hatchesall.jpg

I've got an old school electric miter box I picked up in the 70's and it still makes perfect angle cuts today.
    Original plan was to frame all the hatches with aluminum but after just framing the main hatch opening seemed like enough.

sittingontrans.jpg

Notice the shadow? Wish full thinking :)
    The seat bases are attached to the 1/2" deck, then to 3/4" ply,that is attached to two 2 by 4's which are attached to the hull ribs which Id already "modified" to make them stronger.

ftoback.jpg

I had some aluminum left over from the transom. Made a 10" wide shelf and attached it across the top front side of the splash well. On the left side (can't see it in the pic) I've drilled holes to mount one of my down riggers. Pics to come.

Lot of details left to take care of plus might add something in the back.
    Before I can install the radio antenna I've got to decide if I'm going to install the Bimini top. Got a brand new one on close out for $100.00 delivered (6 footer)

The sea deck like material I'm going to put on the inside of the hull is supposed to be here by the end of the month so as soon as I finish a few more things going to have to prep the hull.

Think I might just finish it this year :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    LowHydrogen, makin moves and Moonpie like this.
  13. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Looks like I skipped over a few things
    After a few comments about foam flotation and seeing that over half of the old styrofoam was still in good condition decided to just stay with it. made my own "hot wire cutter", and got some styrofoam from a local company.

stro nocut.jpg

Using my cutter...
    stro fitted.jpg

With some of the leftover pieces..
    styro rib.jpg

JC Designs and Moonpie like this.
  14. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Picked up some wire ties so i can tidy up the electrical wires hanging under the consoles.

Put together the bimini top.
    Attached the aluminum tube fittings to small pieces of 1/2" ply, then used "C" clamps to hold them in place on the gunnel.
    Attached the hold down straps to the cleats.
    Moved it around some to see where I want it.

bim2.jpg
    bim1.jpg

After playing with it for awhile decided to install it but I'm not happy with the idea of using the #10 self tapping sheet metal screws provided. Another trip to the hardware store to get some #10 fender washers. I've got a bunch of #10 SS machine screws so plan to use them instead.

Nav lights and bilge pumps wired and tested.
    plan to install the VHF antenna and test it today.

LowHydrogen and Moonpie like this.
  15. Moonpie

Moonpie Active Member

Looks like your doing a fine job on the renovation. Are you replacing the windshield?

16. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Nope.
    Might clean it up some.
    After I use the boat for awhile if I'm not happy with the side consoles I might turn it in to CC.

17. mro

mro Well-Known Member

Removing carpet glue... :(
    hullscraping.jpg

hullscrape2.jpg

hullscrape3.jpg

Got a scraper attachment for my sawsall.
    While not fun to use it beats doing it by hand.

Thought I'd ordered the "sea deck" type flooring I'm puting on the hull w/o lines. It arrived and that's what it has so now do I install it vertical or horazontal...

18. mro

mro Well-Known Member

I was going to get fender washers to back-up the screws holding the bimini top brackets on the gunnel.
    Decided that I could make a few backing plates from left over aluminum faster than the trip to the store.

alumbacking.jpg

JC Designs likes this.
  19. mro

mro Well-Known Member

hullscrape4.jpg

I think I'll try wiping it off with some lacquer thinner and test some industrial spray adhesive I've got.
    If it bonds to the hull as scraped then I'll stick the covering on it.
    (the covering has an adhesive backing)
    If not then out comes the grinder with a wire wheel.

20. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

How is that scrapper attachment? Any good? Need to remove some old carpet as well.

JC Designs likes this.