1976 Mercury 9.8HP - looking to buy tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jonathonpauls, May 22, 2013.

1. jonathonpauls

jonathonpauls Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this motor for $350, which based on the physical condition of the motor seems like a great price. I have cash and hand and I'm excited to see it. However, just wanted to get a common sense check. The motor is going on the back of my 1982 Gheenoe 15'4". I'll have a jackplate and the motor will fit and is a close match to the boat year which I think will work nice. The question I have is are there any MAJOR pitfalls to buying a motor that old or that particular brand or model? Most of the feedback on these old Merc's seems positive. I know I will be cleaning carbs, replacing plugs, fuel lines, etc. Other than the obvious maintenance is there anything I must check during my run through tomorrow?

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Between a wet test and compression test, if both are good then you should be ok. Look for corrosion also..

3. cwalden

cwalden I Love my Ghee-not!

What he said^^^

Of the 5 outboards that I own, ALL of them are 76 or older.

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Make sure it pees at idle

They are great little motors ...

5. jonathonpauls

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm somewhat limited to how many tests I can run before purchase, but I'll be sure to do some common sense checks. Hopefully I'll be posting some photos tonight. JP

6. jonathonpauls

It turned out great, awesome motor, good compression and it pee's. Have some wires to replace, plugs to change out, oil, etc - but she's a beauty. Fits great with my '82 Gheenoe.