Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at this motor for $350, which based on the physical condition of the motor seems like a great price. I have cash and hand and I'm excited to see it. However, just wanted to get a common sense check. The motor is going on the back of my 1982 Gheenoe 15'4". I'll have a jackplate and the motor will fit and is a close match to the boat year which I think will work nice. The question I have is are there any MAJOR pitfalls to buying a motor that old or that particular brand or model? Most of the feedback on these old Merc's seems positive. I know I will be cleaning carbs, replacing plugs, fuel lines, etc. Other than the obvious maintenance is there anything I must check during my run through tomorrow?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Make sure it pees at idle

They are great little motors ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm somewhat limited to how many tests I can run before purchase, but I'll be sure to do some common sense checks. Hopefully I'll be posting some photos tonight. JP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turned out great, awesome motor, good compression and it pee's. Have some wires to replace, plugs to change out, oil, etc - but she's a beauty. Fits great with my '82 Gheenoe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts