1975 Johnson missing

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by bribar98, Nov 6, 2009.

1. bribar98

bribar98 I Love microskiff.com!

Got my motor out of the shop and it ran great for few days. Now it's missing. Under load ( gettng up on plane) it will miss and then run great for a few seconds and then miss again. Once it gets warm, it seems to run pretty good. I pulled the plugs and they were pretty black. Could I be adding too much oil to the fuel and cause this? I'm currently running between 30:1 and 50:1. I cleaned the plugs real well and will try yo run it tomorrow and see if that helps. These motor issues are getting old. :mad: I ordered a shop manual online and it will be here soon. But you guys seem to be pretty good mechanics so I thought I would check with you guys as well.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Fouled plugs will make you have a miss.
    Crud shorts out the spark.
    Running with too small a gap will allow crud to short you out faster.
    I ran gapless plugs on my old 2 smokes, allowed me to pull and clean on the water.

3. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

any trouble starting??,ran great at first -then trouble did you change oil-ratio??diff' fuel??,check wiring under flywheel make sure nothings rubbing/shorting-out,, i had my 25 hp '98 completly rewired-they left some wires loose and the f'wheel burned through them @ first trip :mad:
    hope this helps...
    -anytide