18hp 4s tohatsu lower unit leaking oil?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Mfeldman, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Mfeldman

Mfeldman I Love microskiff.com!

My outboard has never leaked since purchase, I recently pulled the motor(layed motor on correct side up) and rebuilt my Gheenoe. I finally finished and picked the motor up and mounted it on the transom. It immediately started dumping oil from the prop. I figure it is the prop seal but why would it not leak before or when it was laid on it's side? It wasn't a small leak, it drained out in a matter of 1 min.
    Thanks

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Doubt it's your prop seal. You may have rested your outboard in an incorrect position
    and thus allowed crankcase oil to leak into your cylinders and exhaust housing.  :-[

3. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

^x2. Is it gear oil or motor oil? If you put some on your finger and smell it you will know gear oil is the most god forsaken smell ever.

4. Mfeldman

Mfeldman I Love microskiff.com!

I double checked again, it was on the correct side. I can only assume it was just overfilled a bit and it leaked out that way. The lower unit is still full but I checked the crank oil and it was slightly lower then when I checked it a month ago. Thanks guys