Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this skiff over a period of 18 months, spent over 300 hours, finished and titled it in November 2016 based off of the FS18 straight sheer design found on Bateau.com. I have pictures of the entire build. Entire exterior & Interior is fiberglass & finished. Transom is double glass at corners & knees. This skiff is as, if not more, durable than their production relatives. People stop me all the time wanting to know who makes these; they can’t believe I built it. Floats in 4 “ water, poles like a dream, and handles extremely well. The front deck was extended to 7 ½ feet for more casting room and for fuel tank storage:

· 25HP Suzuki4 stroke with Electric Start/Tilt/Trim; (2014) Just broken in – less than 25 hours, sips fuel, non-ethanol only.

· 55 lb. Thrust iPilot Trolling motor

· 2018 AGM 12 Volt Group 24 Battery with On-Board Charger (Inside Forward Hatch

· Electric Battery Switch & Fuse Box – Professional Wiring Job

· LED Navigation Lights

· LED Under Gunwale and Hatch lights

· Sea Foam Exterior Two Part Epoxy Paint

· Electric Bilge pump

· Electric Trim tabs

· 1000 lb. flotation foam filled under bow, stern & sole

· 36” Carbon Marine Tiller Extension Handle

· Powder Coated Custom Poling Platform and Grab Bar

· 2018 Continental Aluminum Trailer with Swing Jack & Spare

· Under Gunwale Rod Holders

· Three Manual Pop Up Cleats

· Forward Dry Storage Hatch, Rear Storage for Battery Switch & Box

· Portable 6 Gallon Fuel Tank (placed forward); Fuel water separator aft.

· Trailerable Sunbrella Custom Cover
Asking $14,000 DSCN3320.JPG DSCN3323.JPG DSCN3324.JPG DSCN3326.JPG DSCN3328.JPG DSCN3329.JPG DSCN3330.JPG

·
Registered
955 Posts
@R T McCormick Beautiful skiff! With all those man-hours, cussing, drinking and personal touch, why selling?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question, will try to condense my answer.....I had a 2004 Tiller Whipray, sold it in 2011 when I moved two hours from the nearest saltwater (South AL), always pined for another skiff even though it wasn't practical. I had always wanted to build a skiff and I had the place/space and time to do it. I found the Bateau folks online and decided to try the FS18. It was a lot of fun even though at times, it was very challenging - yes some cussing and drinking did occur - but the artistic opportunity far outweighed the frustration. There are a lot more decisions to make than meets the eye, especially when you decide to do things like forward fuel tank, NAV lights, hatches, foam, trolling motor reinforcement, extended the forward casting platform and the list goes on and on. Back to your question....the next thing I know, I move to Ft Pierce (12 miles from Bateau) in Spring 2017 due to my vocation: Church! I had hardly run the motor more than five hours when I arrived. While I enjoy the backcountry opportunities of this skiff, it goes anywhere, I have the opportunity to own a larger skiff that allows me to fish the inlet as well as the beach on calm days. I can take two or three people with me when I go. This skiff isn't made for that. I love the thing, I really do. I walk out into my side yard, take the cover off and just stare at it sometimes, sounds crazy, I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built this skiff over a period of 18 months, spent over 300 hours, finished and titled it in November 2016 based off of the FS18 straight sheer design found on Bateau.com. I have pictures of the entire build. Entire exterior & Interior is fiberglass & finished. Transom is double glass at corners & knees. This skiff is as, if not more, durable than their production relatives. People stop me all the time wanting to know who makes these; they can’t believe I built it. Floats in 4 “ water, poles like a dream, and handles extremely well. The front deck was extended to 7 ½ feet for more casting room and for fuel tank storage:

· 25HP Suzuki4 stroke with Electric Start/Tilt/Trim; (2014) Just broken in – less than 25 hours, sips fuel, non-ethanol only.

· 55 lb. Thrust iPilot Trolling motor

· 2018 AGM 12 Volt Group 24 Battery with On-Board Charger (Inside Forward Hatch

· Electric Battery Switch & Fuse Box – Professional Wiring Job

· LED Navigation Lights

· LED Under Gunwale and Hatch lights

· Sea Foam Exterior Two Part Epoxy Paint

· Electric Bilge pump

· Electric Trim tabs

· 1000 lb. flotation foam filled under bow, stern & sole

· 36” Carbon Marine Tiller Extension Handle

· Powder Coated Custom Poling Platform and Grab Bar

· 2018 Continental Aluminum Trailer with Swing Jack & Spare

· Under Gunwale Rod Holders

· Three Manual Pop Up Cleats

· Forward Dry Storage Hatch, Rear Storage for Battery Switch & Box

· Portable 6 Gallon Fuel Tank (placed forward); Fuel water separator aft.

· Trailerable Sunbrella Custom Cover
Asking $14,000 View attachment 35644 View attachment 35646 View attachment 35648 View attachment 35650 View attachment 35652 View attachment 35654 View attachment 35656
View attachment 35658 This is where it all started....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts