Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using plascore honeycomb to rebuild my front deck on my boat. I saved the top original skin to make shaping easier. I will be using peanut butter to attach the honeycomb to the fiberglass skin. Does it need to be coated with 1708 or just wet out the thin fiber that comes on the honeycomb before the peanut butter? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
Scooter - 30HP Nissan
70 Posts
I am using plascore honeycomb to rebuild my front deck on my boat. I saved the top original skin to make shaping easier. I will be using peanut butter to attach the honeycomb to the fiberglass skin. Does it need to be coated with 1708 or just wet out the thin fiber that comes on the honeycomb before the peanut butter? Thanks for the help.
the pre skinned plastic honeycomb core comes with a layer of 1708 on each side. I would try to duplicate that. precoat the heck out of the skin that is on there to keep the surface from pulling the epoxy out of the 1708. The 1708 really wants to hold bubbles under it when using the honeycomb. If you have drop, you might want to do a test sample to learn on. After you get one side skinned, the sheet will still be pretty flexible. After you do both sides, it is incredibly stiff.
chip

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
This is how I do honeycomb core…

Melamine table top 4x8 3 coats wax buffed after each coat

wet out table with resin, roll out fabric of choice and finish wetting out, wet out one side of core and place wet to wet on table. Lay a sheet of 3/4” plywood or similar on top and weight down with concrete blocks “I use 16”, let cure 12hrs. Repeat process on the other side. The only thing better is vacuum bagging.

Reactions: Littlefish

·
Registered
Scooter - 30HP Nissan
70 Posts
This is how I do honeycomb core…

Melamine table top 4x8 3 coats wax buffed after each coat

wet out table with resin, roll out fabric of choice and finish wetting out, wet out one side of core and place wet to wet on table. Lay a sheet of 3/4” plywood or similar on top and weight down with concrete blocks “I use 16”, let cure 12hrs. Repeat process on the other side. The only thing better is vacuum bagging.
I had heard that it can be fairly simple bagging, like plastic taped to seal the edges, a valve and vacuum from a shop vac.
I really should have used some kinda vac on the deck side of mine, I ended up with bubbles out in the middle that I couldn’t roll out. I had to grind about a dozen bubbles.
chip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts