SOLD/EXPIRED 17 Sterling w 115 Yammie

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Capt_George, May 3, 2012.

1. Capt_George

Capt_George I Love microskiff.com!

Anyone with knowledge of this boat? heard they're built well, run good in a chop and can float in 10" ????

HELP, I've had 3 flats boats and this one certainly seems to have the right contours to the hull...but would really appreciate some knowledgable input.

THANKS George

2. cslascro

cslascro I Love microskiff.com!

I bought one the first year they came out. It had a 90 2-stroke yamaha on it. I saw them at a boat show, and then went for a tour at the factory and did a sea trial in St. Augustine before purchase. The manufacturer was extremely helpful and willing to so show off their product. The boats are (at least I think they still are) made by the same company that builds Gambler Bass boats. Solid manufacturer with a good reputation.

I loved that boat--a lot! It was very solidly built, had 2 very nice sized live wells, huge storage compartments with rubber insulation around the lid and gas lifts to prevent slammed hatches that spook fish. I wouldn't really call it a micro skiff. It was more like a streamlined flats boat. Nice size to take the family and friends out, but fished great and didn't have any extra junk on it. Very clean boat with absolutely beautiful, modern lines.

I would say 10" was about right for a poling depth. Not a super shallow boat, but it did a lot better than some other mass-produced full-size flats boats I've seen. It absolutely flew with that 90 (55 mph). Excellent hole shot. Ran very comfortably and dry in a chop. I took out along the beach running after spanish on many occasions.

Great boat. I'd buy another if I had the cash. That first year they had an extremely attractive price tag, but their reputation has inflated the market value by a lot. Although, for someone with the money to spend, I'd still say they are a good value.

3. Capt_George

Thank you very much, that certainly puts my mind at ease. I guess this Sterling will fly with a 115 Yammie 4 stroke. Supposed to have 236 hours, I will put a computer check on it.
    It's a 2003 with a trailer to boot. Asking 14K seems reasonable with what a 115 4 stroke would cost. Really appreciate you getting back to me.........Looks like I might be buying a sterling!
    Selling an 18 Flats & Bay w/90 Honda, all '98 with a newer trailer..Just want something a little younger, don't we all?LOL
    George

4. dingdangdoo

dingdangdoo I LOVE FISHING

this is the one in Jax, right? Better beat me to it!

5. Capt_George

Check already on its way.........no anyone looking for a good 1998 18 Flats & Bay, 90 Honda and trailer, all good condition.
    Like I said, just want something "younger".........

6. cslascro

cslascro I Love microskiff.com!

I saw that listing. Great buy! That is a really nice price and a very good looking boat.

7. Capt_George

Again, thanks for the heads up on this boat.....

FA, you ever headed up to the Port Charlotte area, get in touch with me........

gpurrm@hotmail.com

8. k.cheshire

k.cheshire I Love microskiff.com!

How much r u asking for ur flats & bay? Throw in some pics and specs and u can count this as a for sale thread. Lol. Might be interested and so would some others.

9. Capt_George

Have to get moved up to Port Charlotte first...Crazy busy moving....packing and renting Penske tomorrow to load up and head to PC If I sell the F&B it will be in the area of around 8K
    Boat/90Honda/Trailer I'll be watching this site and probably post something next week about the F & B....a great boat, very dry and soft in a chop..she does need at least 10" to float, that's loaded.

. Thanks for you interest...my e mail in above comment.

10. Capt_George

Just been looking on line and reading some stuff about stress cracks in the Sterling hulls....any knowledge out there on this?

Maybe I should keep my F & B and just put a new 115 on her?

thanx

11. eric_f

eric_f I Love microskiff.com!

i have owned 3. 18 sterling, 22 sterling, and a 22 shearwater. give me a call.i can fill you in on the good,bad,ugly. ERIC 239-770-0163

12. Capt_George

Thanks Eric, gonna keep my Flats & Bay, know what I have and what she does...I'll repower etc. maybe a 140 Suzuki.

13. Cody_F

Cody_F 2012 ankona copperhead 60etec

You can also call him for info on the 140 zuk , we had that motor on a 21 dlv. Been there done that with a lot of boats and motors lol.