17 Mitzi CC w/ 60 4 stroke Yamaha - Correct prop??

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by capterik, Jul 19, 2012.

1. capterik

capterik I Love microskiff.com!

I just purchased a 2007 17' Mitzi with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha. The boat is rigged with a 12v 55lb thrust trolling motor, 1 12v battery and 12 gallons of fuel forward. It has a 14" stainless yamaha prop on it and it will only turn over 4800 rpms. The motor was just serviced and has 80 hrs on it.
    Any ideas as to how I can get the last 1200 rpms out of the boat? If i trim it out it will go to 5100RPM and then cavitate.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. jgregory01

jgregory01 I Love microskiff.com!

Pitch is important. What is the pitch?

3. lsfox86

lsfox86 Lez go feeeeeeesh!!!!!

I have the exact same rig as you, and mine cavitates like CRAZY!! I am kind of at a loss...
    That being said, I can get to 5500 without a problem.

4. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

I'm definitely not a prop expert, so I can't recommend a prop. If you can "make" the engine get to your target rpms by blowing the prop out then it is not likely to be a motor issue. IMO it sounds like you are over pitched.

Swamp

5. Copperhead8

Copperhead8 I Love microskiff.com!

For anyone who has a "prop" problem I would recc calling Ken at propgod in Sarasota. He is very knowledgable and helpful. He set me up (Ranger Banshee with 60 Yam 4 stroke) with a powertech 3 blade with custom cupping and some hole drilled in it. The change over the stock Yam prop was amazing. Gets on plane great and still has decent top end. Great guy to work with