Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
2 coats of Awlgrip 545 epoxy primer. Now trying to decide what color she will be. I a, thinking about Shark gray, anyone have a picture of a skiff this color?
60FB2B8A-A1C6-4EA6-99FD-B010BCF5D68C.jpeg
5981C78A-9E79-4784-A750-AFFD7E235210.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
That should be a dry running hull. It looks much the same as my former 18ft C-hawk and the May-Craft: slight aft vee and hard chine all around. They turn on a dime.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finishing up my fiberglass work and now for the million dollar question..... do I gelcoat the inside or paint? I have read and read until I am going crazy. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I painted the inside of my 18' Atlantic with Petite, they have an additive to make it matte instead of glossy and it looked so sharp. Painted everything with that and then put an extra coat the floor with the grit additive. It held up well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Roll and Tip looks pro. Paint the inside, with awlgrip. I used kiwi grip for my floor and it is extremely durable. Going on 8 years still looks great. Every couple years I brush on some thinned out kiwi and it looks brand new again. Also don’t forget to use AwlCare polish liberally a couple times a year. Good job!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
C4BA1F39-E8B7-484E-8C42-74C1EEE9C06F.jpeg

Almost done. I took it for a run yesterday to try a few things out. I don’t have the tach yet so it was at less than half throttle. I do have a question. While running it had a slight list to the left, is that from the torque of the motor? I was in the center, the gas tank (6 gallon) was in the center and that was all the was in the boat. What will fix this?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Perhaps it could be you need to adjust the outboard torque tab
image_124780.jpg

Reactions: AshCraft17

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Finally took her out with some others on it. I have tried adjusted the trim tab. Moved it a small amount each way and didn’t really see much 0f a difference.

Here is what she did, 2 people sitting up front on the bow cap she wanted to dart one way or the other. Really leaned each side. Moved one person on the back with me and she did a lot better. I am used to a flat bottom boat, this one rode so much better but I still had the occasional list to the port side. Do you think trim tabs would help? From what I read self leveling ones don’t really do anything for listing problems they are more beneficial for getting up on a plane. The electric Bennet brand looks good but I want to know if the experts on here think it will help keeping the boat running straight.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 40 Posts