Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. I just picked up a 17’ Ash Craft, looking for some inspiration for my rebuild. Anyone have any pictures of their 17’ Ash Craft?

B

·
0 Posts
I see a nice large forward casting deck that sits down about 6” from sheer, same with a rear deck, dry storage in both. With decks set lower than sheer you’ll lose a little sight height but gain some stability and a nice toe kick to boot. Are you thinking tiller or console? Has potential, looking forward to seeing the build!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Floor was soft so I am in the process of cutting everything out of it. My plans are a 6 foot deck on the front a 4 foot deck on the back and adding 12-14” gunnels. Small center console.

B

·
0 Posts
Think about a mid height console with tilt wheel. If set up right, you can drive comfortably sitting or standing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8A5E520B-1DE7-4C69-9D62-673EB4A1D8B7.jpeg
0EE646A1-384D-4D6D-8AE4-94E348FEDA53.jpeg
56255DA0-503D-4A69-A064-1D45D97DCB43.jpeg
094EEA03-8D56-43E3-A5F3-B5FDCF6CA419.jpeg
Update:

I have removed the floor and dry fitted my 1x4’s and floor. I will be putting on a couple of coats of resin on the 1x4’s and the bottoms of the floor. I have the pvc for the controls and wiring, anything that I am missing speak now before I close her up. Planning on doing next weekend so I have a little time for suggestions.

B

·
0 Posts
I always like to run a rigging tube or two forward as well. Because, you never know lol!

·
BBA Counselor
7,061 Posts
Definitely run a tube forward. And you'll need several running towards the rear. One each for controls, wiring, fuel, and a lot of guys run the transducer run in its own tube as well.

For my decks I like 3/8" glassed on both sides with at least 6-9oz woven. Epoxy only! Don't use cheap polyester with wood.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning to run 1 3” pvc pipe from the console back. The gas tank is in the stern, do you think I need more than the 3”? I have a 1” running forward for anything I need up there.

That’s the first I heard about not using poly resin, I already bought a 5 gallon bucket......

B

·
0 Posts
I am planning to run 1 3” pvc pipe from the console back. The gas tank is in the stern, do you think I need more than the 3”? I have a 1” running forward for anything I need up there.

That’s the first I heard about not using poly resin, I already bought a 5 gallon bucket......
DO NOT use poly with wood! It will rot in no time and this is too much work and money already to just have it rot out short term on you! You have two choices...
(A) keep the poly resin and switch to composite core.
(B) keep the wood and switch to epoxy resin
I can get foam core @3/4” for around $100 sheet.

·
BBA Counselor
7,061 Posts
3" pipe is huge and heavy. I went with 2" for controls, and 1.5 thin wall for wiring and transducer.

I agree with BB, either switch to composite or go with epoxy on the wood. Or you can just to it like you planned, but know it might only last a few years.

If BB can get you composite sheets for that cheap I'd jump on it. I might have to knock on his door soon.

B

·
0 Posts
3" pipe is huge and heavy. I went with 2" for controls, and 1.5 thin wall for wiring and transducer.

I agree with BB, either switch to composite or go with epoxy on the wood. Or you can just to it like you planned, but know it might only last a few years.

If BB can get you composite sheets for that cheap I'd jump on it. I might have to knock on his door soon.
I’ll hook ya up! The core I refered to is basically unbranded divinycell h80. The blown pvc I use for transoms amd areas that require good screw retention is only around $150 for a 3/4” sheet. Hoping to make a trip and place a bulk order, anyone want in let me know. I’m sure I can get a case the foam core for around $95 sheet!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I used total boat epoxy primer from Jamestown distributors on my last project and liked it. Free shipping also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts