Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so, I sold a 17ft center console bay boat that I had put a lot of time in rebuilding a few months back. Now I’ve got the itch again and so mostly out of impulse I bought another project boat. It’s a $400 15ft “homemade” boat that seems to be pretty solid. I bought it with the intentions of making it nice. Sooo, here we go lol

A31D234A-6369-4C79-84AF-014EE4AB7A00.jpeg EB23B57E-177F-41BB-8AD9-DF94E8B77D5D.jpeg 24A675DB-A8E5-425E-833E-218A546212FA.jpeg B2BE9A98-2952-4B08-9D5E-799B472710FD.jpeg 8FAA52FC-6502-481E-99CC-7CDEDA6C874D.jpeg 3B9F1EE6-22A2-43FB-955C-BE4AC52A2DEA.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m sanding down and fixing up the bottom of the hull first. I sanded through three coats of pain and some old fiberglass repair and got down to the gel coat. Can I fill in the deep scratches with resin and then paint or do I need to use glass mat as well?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
If the scratches don’t compromise the glass, you can fill them. If the glass is damaged, you’ll have to lay some glass in the defect. What was the patch you ground off supposed to fix? Usually big, ugly patches hide big, ugly defects.

Nate

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the scratches don’t compromise the glass, you can fill them. If the glass is damaged, you’ll have to lay some glass in the defect. What was the patch you ground off supposed to fix? Usually big, ugly patches hide big, ugly defects.

Nate
If you look in the last pic from the transom looking towards the bow, there are about 20 small holes that were patched with a giant glass piece. They are filled with resin and are sanded smooth at this point. Guessing the patch was for “insurance”???

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,210 Posts
Thoughts on all the holes being drilled, due to delamination between the glass and the core so they drilled holes throughout the delam area then back filled with epoxy?

either way it’s. Cool looking hull and should ride nicely, any idea what plans it was made from?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thoughts on all the holes being drilled, due to delamination between the glass and the core so they drilled holes throughout the delam area then back filled with epoxy?

either way it’s. Cool looking hull and should ride nicely, any idea what plans it was made from?
honestly I have no idea what plans it was made from. Closest thing I could find to it would be a hobie power skiff. Does anyone else have any idea?? It has a super thick hull. The transom is about 2.5-3in thick. The area around the holes doesn’t appear to be delaminated. Any other ideas?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
838 Posts
I have always loved the looks of those hulls.

I would put at least one layer of glass over all those holes on the bottom, just my 2 cents. I know they are epoxy filled but they make me nervous.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
I have always loved the looks of those hulls.

I would put at least one layer of glass over all those holes on the bottom, just my 2 cents. I know they are epoxy filled but they make me nervous.
Could always add that layer of glass from the inside and save yourself some fairing time...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty cool little boat! Are you planning on cutting out the floor or is it pretty solid?
it’s pretty solid except for one spot but I’m going to make the rear deck bigger and remove the center console soo I think I’ll remove the floor and replace with 1/2in marine plywood so I definitely don’t have any issues for the next 10 years

1 - 20 of 97 Posts