Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

I Love microskiff.com!
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I've been looking for a little skiff to take our six-year-old outfishing so we don't have to wash down the big boat all the time. I also wouldn't mind having something again that I can pull around on the flats.. Anybody know what a 15' actually drafts and how stable are they? Hate to pole the boy around to experience tailing reds and he falls off馃ぃ

Registered
I had a similar boat a 152 keywest it draft 7 inches per factory i feel it was closer to 8 with battery in stern 馃憤 im a Big guy i felt very comfortable moving around the boat ,like any smaller boat it may take time to get adjusted but the lil keywest was awesome wish i had kept it !

I Love microskiff.com!
I had a mitzi 15 tiller for 4 years and often took my son (3 to 7) plus another father and son out fishing alot. Rigged light with fly gear and 2 people it is an honest 6 inch draft. I poled it almost anywhere I wanted to go.

It was easy to pole because of its weight, but didn't track as well as other skiffs. It also has high freeboard, relative to watermans and hpx's, which allowed it to get blown around in the wind some.

It's a tippy boat for sure with its narrow beam and deadrise, but your son will probably be fine. We didn't have any trouble. Though, to be honest, my son did fall off once when he was 5, but that was not because the boat was tippy. He was trying to run from his friend.... and ran into the water...

Great riding boat in rough water and was pretty dry in all but the worst conditions (quartering sea with high winds).

2012 Mitzi Skiffs 15' Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke
Buggy Whip Aficionado
I鈥檝e had my 15 for 8 years now and I still don鈥檛 think I鈥檒l ever get rid of it. My little brother who鈥檚 now 7 has frequently come out on it with me a bunch and it鈥檚 always been safe.
Of all the things to describe it as, tippy definitely wouldn鈥檛 be one of them, especially compared to other skiffs in the same class/price range.
As far as draft, there are shallower floating skiffs, but I鈥檝e had mine in a realistic 7鈥. It pushes through flood tides well and tracks straight.
Its also the best riding skiff I鈥檝e ever been on in a chop
If you鈥檙e near central FL, you鈥檙e welcome to hop on mine and push it around and check it out!

I Love microskiff.com!
Hey yall, I've been looking for a little skiff to take our six-year-old outfishing so we don't have to wash down the big boat all the time. I also wouldn't mind having something again that I can pull around on the flats.. Anybody know what a 15' actually drafts and how stable are they? Hate to pole the boy around to experience tailing reds and he falls off馃ぃ
My first Skiff was a Mitzi 15, not tippy at all, Polled in 6" of water. Great little boat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts