Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Micorskiffers!

I've found a very well priced 15' Gheenoe highsider project skiff, needs glasswork and TLC but has good bones. The catch is it comes with no title and barely legible hull numbers. Trailer has bill of sale and thats about it.

I live in South Dade (Florida), how big of a hassle is it to clear the title and get it on the water? I appreciate any feedback, advice or input.

R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, there is a half dollar sized hole at the base of the transom (exterior) how big of a deal is this to fix? Worth doing? Thanks in advance!

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Even if it's free it's not worth it honestly. Brand new they are only about a grand. A beat up boat is one thing, no title is another. Just keep looking, my old high sider was $300 with the trailer and title.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, thats solid advice. I think i’ll pass on this one. Had no idea on new Gno prices, im going to look into them

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
Florida are like Nazi’s with vehicle titles. Seriously, every time I go to the DMV I feel like I’m going to war. They are also clueless and unhelpful for anything that’s not extremely common.

Sometimes sellers will tell you it is easy to title it as a home built boat, but they have cracked down on that too so I wouldn’t expect it to be. You have to fight with them to give them their tax $, it’s ridiculous.

There might be a way if the seller is local and you go to the DMV together, they sign an afadavit that they lost the title, verify that the hull isn’t reported stolen, you give them a bill of sale, etc, but I wouldn’t count on it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Florida are like Nazi’s with vehicle titles. Seriously, every time I go to the DMV I feel like I’m going to war. They are also clueless and unhelpful for anything that’s not extremely common.

Sometimes sellers will tell you it is easy to title it as a home built boat, but they have cracked down on that too so I wouldn’t expect it to be. You have to fight with them to give them their tax $, it’s ridiculous.

There might be a way if the seller is local and you go to the DMV together, they sign an afadavit that they lost the title, verify that the hull isn’t reported stolen, you give them a bill of sale, etc, but I wouldn’t count on it.
It's a two way street though. If your boat gets stolen, you will be happy that it is difficult for the thief to just go to the DMV and get a new title based on the story they weave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sounds like a hassle... think i’ll pass thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a two way street though. If your boat gets stolen, you will be happy that it is difficult for the thief to just go to the DMV and get a new title based on the story they weave
Lots of wisdom on this board tonight! Thanks to all, I was getting the “skiff-eye”, ignoring common sense and thinking of the build lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
I’m fine with the process of the sheriff’s department validating the VIN/HIN to make sure it’s not reported stolen. Been through that as well as many other things. Could tell you some stories.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
1. Make sure it has not been reported stolen !

2. File a "Mechanics Lien" ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts