Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 14ft Indian River fiberglass tunnel hull canoe for a few hundred bucks off CL Figured it would be a fun Corona project while I have a bunch of down time. I don't plan on doing much to it. Looking for a motor and push pole for now. Have yet to get on the water to see how stable it is. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube of guys that have done some cool builds and I saw a few ancient posts on here. I'll be targeting the flats and marshes in the Galveston, TX area. Any current or previous Indian River owners on here let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Plays with Glass...
1,560 Posts
I picked up this 14ft Indian River fiberglass tunnel hull canoe for a few hundred bucks off CL Figured it would be a fun Corona project while I have a bunch of down time. I don't plan on doing much to it. Looking for a motor and push pole for now. Have yet to get on the water to see how stable it is. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube of guys that have done some cool builds and I saw a few ancient posts on here. I'll be targeting the flats and marshes in the Galveston, TX area. Any current or previous Indian River owners on here let me know what you think. Thanks!
Cool little boat! Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are sweet little boats. i think i saw this one on craigslist haha.
if your on instagram look up el_flyfinger86 and devinmaggio. they are killing it in their indian rivers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are sweet little boats. i think i saw this one on craigslist haha.
if your on instagram look up el_flyfinger86 and devinmaggio. they are killing it in their indian rivers
Awesome thanks! Yeah the guy wanted wayyyyy too much for it but I walked away with it for my offer. Took it out yesterday and got a red so she works.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,204 Posts
A jackplate is one of the best mods in these small canoes. Elflyflinger as mentioned above built a similar design to mine I built a long time ago.

it will get you another 3-4” shallower running than factory.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
What size outboard are you thinking of running? I have a couple 9.9 Merc's collecting dust in College Station or POC. BTW, I did that boat!

Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Defin
A jackplate is one of the best mods in these small canoes. Elflyflinger as mentioned above built a similar design to mine I built a long time ago.

it will get you another 3-4” shallower running than factory.
Definitely need to look into a jack plate! Was it easier to fabricate/make?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size outboard are you thinking of running? I have a couple 9.9 Merc's collecting dust in College Station or POC. BTW, I did that boat!

Michael
I'm looking for a 6hp which is pretty much as big as you can run on it. 4hp or less is recommended. Wish I could run a 9!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,204 Posts
I would bet a 6 is going to be a lot of weight for that skinny transom but I could be wrong.

My buddy ran a 3.5 on his which was about perfect with the weight of the jackplate. His was heavy as he wanted it adjustable and we made it from steel instead of aluminum. The difficulty will all depend on your fabrication skills.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking for a 6hp which is pretty much as big as you can run on it. 4hp or less is recommended. Wish I could run a 9!
i think a 6hp would be fine. Where around gaveston are you located? ill keep an eye out for one. Id also just make a jackplate out of aluminum angle. Its real easy. Look up diy gheenoe jackplates.

Michael
What year 9.9 mercs do you have?? :)
I might need one for one of my gheenoes... im in Conroe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So
I would bet a 6 is going to be a lot of weight for that skinny transom but I could be wrong.

My buddy ran a 3.5 on his which was about perfect with the weight of the jackplate. His was heavy as he wanted it adjustable and we made it from steel instead of aluminum. The difficulty will all depend on your fabrication skills.[/QUOT

My buddy ran a 3.5 on his which was about perfect with the weight of the jackplate. His was heavy as he wanted it adjustable and we made it from steel instead of aluminum. The difficulty will all depend on your fabrication skills.
So the canoe is rated for 4hp. But 4-6hp for most manufacturers is the same weight. But definitely want to fabricate a jack plate after looking into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think a 6hp would be fine. Where around gaveston are you located? ill keep an eye out for one. Id also just make a jackplate out of aluminum angle. Its real easy. Look up diy gheenoe jackplates.

What year 9.9 mercs do you have?? :)
I might need one for one of my gheenoes... im in Conroe
I actually live in midtown Houston but would travel for a good motor

·
Registered
511 Posts
Any updates to your canoe-life? I'm eyeing one that just popped up in CS. Do you think the Outdoorsman is stable enough for a kid to ride up front?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just joined this forum, so excuse me responding to an old post, I was searching for some additional ideas for my microskiff conversion of sorts on this very canoe, I've had mine for several years. Was curious how it all came out and if you did anything cool with it? I noticed the conversations on hp. They're rated for 5 I believe I recall, I initially ran a 6 hp tohatsu longshaft (just what I had), and after a low hanging bridge related incident I ended up having to replace the transom, which I hardcore reinforced, as well as raised a bit while I was at it. After glassing the bottom for good measure (hate the "flex" feeling it irks my paranoia of the Florida water) along with some other structural beef ups, she runs a 9.9 Johnson seahorse like a dream.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts