13ft Prop Questions...

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by wrv993, Dec 14, 2011.

1. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

I currently run a 13ft Gheenoe with a 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha. My jackplate is set a 6" of setback with about 3.5" of vertical lift, I also have a cavitation plate for my lower unit... the boat runs pretty good as is. I have been using the stock aluminum prop, and i've about torn it to sh*t over the past 2 years. I do not know much about props, so I was just looking for some input on stainless props, cupping, and what would allow me to perform better in shallow water. Thanks - Al

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I'd get a cupped aluminum.
    Stainless is thinner and tougher, but puts more stress on the gears.
    If you impact an aluminum blade, it bends easier than a stainless one.

3. wrv993

like i said... im not an expert on outboards. how exactly do i go about cupping a prop? do i need to take it in to a certain shop? any specific prop manufacturers? i do have a compression plate on my motor, will cupping my prop allow me to mount my motor even higher above my transom? thanks- al

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Information on props

http://www.formulapropeller.com/propellers.html

http://www.rundquist.com/PropTips_Cupping.htm

Cupping can be done by most prop repair/sales shops.
    Find a shop close to you and give 'em a call.
    Talk with the pro's about what you have and need.
    There are many brands pre-cupped available on line.

Using a cupped prop gave me one and a half inch mounting height gain over a stock prop,
    and increased my top speed by half a mile per hour. Big difference on a 9.9 merc 4 stroke.

;D

5. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Everything Brett said... Two other notes though, an aluminum prop is about 1/3 the cost of stainless (that I've found anyhow) and my local shop cupped a prop for me in less than 15 minutes. Look for a shop that will work with you to fine tune the prop, they tend to be more customer oriented and helpful.

6. wrv993

Thanks for the input everyone, really appreciate it! All helpful