13ft Gheenoe Classic rebuild and title.

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Master_Baiter, May 3, 2012.

1. Master_Baiter

Master_Baiter I Love microskiff.com!

I have a Gheenoe I bought off a co-worker a while back for 50 bucks and a case of beer.  I did more research and found out it was a 13ft classic.  I went to the NMZ and had a blast fishing on this Gheenoe I want to get rid of my Jon boat.  BUT  I have a couple of issues. 

1)  Its got no title.

2) 
    a.  back seat is cracked pretty bad. 

b.  Transom has gone to ka-put.  It is  rotted out and needs to be redone.

c.  The keel is a little worn down in the center and leaking water in. 

d. I do need a new paint job and gel coat.

e. and a trailer.

Is it worth restoring it?  If it is does anyone know how get get instructions on how to do it?  I haven't done any type of glass work....ever.    I am open to any suggestions.

Andy

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Try to sell it for $50 and a case of beer.

If you are looking for instructions
    You don't know what you are doing
    If you don't know what you are doing
    You will do a poor job
    If you do a poor job
    You end up with a boat worth $50 and a case of beer
    Don't waste time, energy and money

Oh, that sounds like a commercial...

But another puzzle is WHY does it not have a title? Gotta hear this story.

3. Master_Baiter

I saw the Gheenoe at one of my work buddies house and honestly I just asked him about it. He said it was his brothers or relatives boat that left it when he was there. He's got kids so they are jumping up and down on the seats and boat, hence the cracked seats. Also it was left outside so yeah....you get the point. Anywho...I passed by and I told him..sell it. He said okay $50 and a case of beer. So he helped me load it and we drank beer till we had no more. ;D

4. Izzy11

Izzy11 Backwater boy for life

Duck nut ... ?

Nice answer ... Way to help out !

I literally started messing with glass less then a year and a half ago and now I can do full rebuilds !
    I walked into a fiberglass shop with a note pad and that's where it all started ...
    Lord knows boats can be considered a waste of money IN MANY different ways, but I say we should all waste a little sometimes to learn a lot . ;)

Now as for this poor old gheenoe ! .... Let's see some pics and get her stared .

5. redfish5

redfish5 I Love microskiff.com!

I would first try to title her.  If you can get a title I think it would be worth the rebuild.  I learned last year how to work with fiberglass on my river hawk, and it doesn't take long to catch on.  If you can't get a title and you plan on using it outside of private lakes it might not be worth it.  Unless you don't plan on powering it either. 

6. Master_Baiter

Definitely trying to get her titled right now. Been working pretty crazy. I'll have pictures by the end of this weekend. THANK GUYS!

7. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

this is excellent advice !

i see people playing way above thier skill level on a regular basis - it can lead to huge problems.glass work without experience,is asking for trouble - i'm not saying it's only to be done by pros,what i'm saying is,if you lack experience,and you're doing things the wrong way,without knowing it,you're asking for trouble

the pictures below are a good example:
    the owner of this boat worked for a now defunct boater's store - this is a repair he attempted,he filled a through hull in the bottom of his boat - that circle piece i'm holding,that was his "repair"...look closley at the pictures - these are what it looked like...yes,that a garden hose shut off,screwed onto a thru hull fitting...hard to believe huh ? somewhere,some one will tell you,this is a good repair - common sense tells us otherwise...

learn to honestly evaluate your skill level,if you're asking questions on an internet web site,your skill level has been exceeded...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Master_Baiter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come! But you can see the transom is gone. The seats have an aluminum plate almost feels like it's glasses in and bolts stick out.

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I mostly agree with Kreepa but most everyone has to start somewhere and asking questions is a means to acquiring the skills. But yes the laborer has to realize their limitations.

Gatorgeist- I gave an honest answer to a question that was asked. A used 13'er in pristine condition would bring roughly $800, so lets figure this out. $50 for the hull, $20 for the beer. Now add approximately $300 to get a title and now you are at $370 and the costs are now waiting to stack up. Glass at $10/yard, resin at $40/gal or $100/gal for epoxy, $50 sand paper, $80 per sheet of plywood, $25 for Rustoleum paint. Any other supplies like rivets, aluminum, fittings, pumps, lights, wire, etc...and I would be remiss if I failed to mention 200+ hours at minimum wage all adds up to way more then a turnkey setup.

Lets not forget the purchase price of any toos that are not currently owned, the danger associated with power tools and the health dangers associated with these products if used improperly.

Leave out the title part and you save $300 but have expended the remaining money but will never sell the craft for anywhere near the value with a title.

I never discourage someone from trying something new but I will certainly not tell someone they will end up with a beautiful vessel if they simply read the direction on the can just to sound encouraging.

10. Izzy11

Duck nut... Im glad you didnt take my reply to your post the wrong way, and I am being trying to be encouraging.

This gheenoe still looks to have life left in her though. That transom looks fairly easy to repair with the correct tools and guidance.
    My estimates (and I've redone 4 gheenoes)..... A classic, two 13 highsides, and a 15'4" high side,...... Would be around 300 to FULLY redo this gheenoe excluding the tools . To repair would be less than 150 bucks PROBABLY "give or take a few bucks" . The main tool for me is a grinder/sander for interior work.
    The title will not ever cost 300 bucks ? And I've titled more than my fair share.

Now as for that transom.... Looks to me that just the would has rotted out. So cut/grind the wood and glass down from the inside and leave the base transom in place. I would get new marine grade wood and glass it back in to the existing transom " make sure to grind down past the existing gel coat" always apply GLASS TO GLASS ! We will get to the rest after you get that done. In order for me to give you an idea of material cost I need to know exactly what you wanna do.

11. Izzy11

I just looked back at the post.....

Here's the deal..... I wouldn't gel coat. I would just paint it.

Where are you located and do you have a glass place near you? And I dont mean a boat place. I mean like a fiberglass store. A gallon of polyester resin will run you 20 bucks. The hardener will cost like 6 bucks. Enough gelcoat ... If you want to do that would be anywhere from 35 to 65 bucks.
    What do you have for tools. Sander/grinder ? Then you need latex gloves, mask, and paint rollers.
    Also something to consider .... Trailer will be like 150/200 for a jet ski trailer or something that will work. Also , we need more pics of the boat.... Is it a lowsider or highsider ? If it's a lowside we need keep cost down because they really aren't worth over 300 for a decent one. Highsiders hold their value because they can take bigger waves and are still being manufactured.
    Also you may want to head over to customgheenoe.com. These guys stick together and will help you out tremendously. I also have my most recent 13 highside build under "bragging spot" or "tips and tricks topics". There are also lots of other builds and ideas on how to save a buck here and there.

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

No issues and here is what I would add to Gators post:

Take off the aluminum rails before you start grinding and change out the mask for a respirator and don't forget the safety goggles. From the pics it does appear to be in decent shape.

On a continuing note: how do you title a manufactured hull that has been registered for less than $300...I am sure others would like to know because that seems to be the amount that researchers on here have found it would cost?

13. Izzy11

Duck nut...... I'm not gonna give the title info on a open forum though it's legal . It would just help a lot of thieving bastards !
    BUT ..... I will tell you and certain random others if you guys ever need help.

14. beyondhelp

beyondhelp Well-Known Member

I'd live to have that info, I made the same choices as the Op years ago and ended up cutting up the boat and getting rid of it. I paid for my education and it cost way more than $50.  :-[

Aside from that, my recommendation is slightly different. I agree with DuckNut, make sure you don't end up spending 3x the price of the boat. Or, know and appreciate the value of the boat.

ME, I put a ton of money into a hull most would have said to discard. (see my build thread)

But, I did it for several reasons. The work was tough, I didn't do some of it correctly. I am now coping with decisions forced by budget/lack of knowledge/time/etc... I will not sell my boat in it's current config. There isn't anyone who can appreciate the absolutely incredible value I have gotten out of my boat. No resale value will make up for it. How do you put a dollar amount on the fun my nephews had when they caught their first trout? Or my Dad when he caught his first fish on a fly rod?

Don't give up or quit because of these responses. Don't think you can't do it because someone posted examples of bad work. I have seen just as many "reputable professionals" turn out bad / dangerous work. Don't spend any money on it until you are sure you can title it.

Know that some choices or work you do could compromise the safety of you or your passengers and seek help if you're not sure.

15. Master_Baiter

I totally agree. I'm not doing anything complete crazy. But I found out some problems. There are a couple of problems I have. I know how to do lay cloth. But is there a specific way to do it on the keel? It's leaking due to dragging i guess.

Here are some photos. Let me know what I can do. Seats, floor, transom, paint, sanding. Any advice would help with the process of making this poor Gheenoe back into a flats fishing machine. ;D
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. beyondhelp

beyondhelp Well-Known Member

These guys explain some of it pretty well even if it is tailored to their products which are $$$$$

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf

I'd hate to steer you away from this forum, you can find a bunch of answers here. You should check out http://forums.bateau2.com/ a boat builders forum with a ton of resources. They have specific subforums for fiberglass and core materials etc...

17. Izzy11

My bad bro ... I I just now noticed you posted some new questions.......

The inside for me is always the most work but the easiest. Just get a grinder with a sanding wheel "like 80 or 60 grit" , and start sanding/grinding all the gel coat off that transom for fiberglass repair. Don't cut out the transom. Just sand off all paint. That way you can use the old transom as s guide. You do need to get that old wood out of there.

To repair the keel use a finishing sander with 60 grit. Sand down past the paint all around the crack. (a couple inches around the crack)..... Then just cut your glass and apply.

18. jms

west system,it costs more,due to the fact it's worth it - epoxy is waterproof,polyester based resins are not.we all understand that a polyester based resin isn't the best choice for working with wood,due to it's "surface" bond...

west system "guides" give the do it yourself guy a good basic explaination of techniques...

the idea about performing repairs should be,making it a better product,using high quality materials,and following accepted techniques will provide that result...

19. jms

20. jms

you may not want to follow this advice...

a better,more"accepted way" to make a repair,like that,is to grind the effected area,"dish" the area of the crack,and "feather" the edges of the crack back,at least a few inches,this provides a structual repair,it keeps the integrity of the hull.just sanding the area,and glassing over it,really provides limited strength...follow the advice i gave,and do the same on both sides of the hull - inside and outside - this assures a fully structual repair...