Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a 12" Lowrance HDS Live or Simrad NSS Evo on their skiff? Looking at these units to run FMT on my CC waterman. Heard 12" for FMT is a game changer, but wondering if maybe it's a little too big. If anyone has pictures of one on their setup that would be awesome to look at too

·
Registered
216 Posts
Running a 9” NSS Evo3 as well and love it. Glenn from FMT does recommend the 12”, however, I only had enough room to flush mount a 9”. That being said, the NSS9 is great upgrade from my previous GO7. FMT looks amazing on it. The NSS12 would be really nice if you have the room.

·
Registered
109 Posts
joe island.jpg
I am running a 12" NSS. the screen imagery was better than the HDS. I took my FMT chip to West Marine and put in all of the units to see how things looked. At my age, I needed the 12" over the 9". It was worth the price bump to the NSS so I only had to buy once. I have it mounted on a Balzout mount. I can swivel the unit to face the bow as seen in photo. I absolutely prefer the mount over flush mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just looked at the units at West marine today. 12” looks like it may be too big. Even mounted above the console I feel like it would interfere with the passenger sitting in front. 9” evo3 is looking like the ticket.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just looked at the units at West marine today. 12” looks like it may be too big. Even mounted above the console I feel like it would interfere with the passenger sitting in front. 9” evo3 is looking like the ticket.
I’m running a 12” HDS Carbon on my 18 foot Cayo and I’m very happy with it. I have both FL and LA Marine Tracks and I’m completely satisfied with the performance. I’m also using the Balzout mount. That makes positioning the unit so that I can see it with bifocals easy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Anyone running a 12" Lowrance HDS Live or Simrad NSS Evo on their skiff? Looking at these units to run FMT on my CC waterman. Heard 12" for FMT is a game changer, but wondering if maybe it's a little too big. If anyone has pictures of one on their setup that would be awesome to look at too
It is not too big. Plenty of people running 12s on smaller boats than yours with no issues. Watch the recommended units video.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m running a 12” HDS Carbon on my 18 foot Cayo and I’m very happy with it. I have both FL and LA Marine Tracks and I’m completely satisfied with the performance. I’m also using the Balzout mount. That makes positioning the unit so that I can see it with bifocals easy.
Note FMT on the screen. I think that if you’re relying on FMT for shallow water navigation bigger is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Here are the pictures that I was trying to find. Go with what works for you and your boat.]
Turn that sucker horizontal and get under it when it rains. :)

Reactions: stussing

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
Both are great units. I've used both and would give the nod to the Simrad NSS because the knob and button control are super fast and easy to use especially while running.

Reactions: BobGee
1 - 15 of 15 Posts