Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Felt it was time to finally get a build thread going for this little fella. I bought this 12.5' square backed canoe about a year ago for $800. It seemed like a really good deal. I haven't had any issues with it until I put 2 stroke gas in it on accident one outing. I have a separate thread for though.

The purchase included the boat, 2007 4 HP yamaha, and trailer.

Here she is in all her glory

Once a current project is done the boat will be moved to the garage vs the backyard.

As for future plans. We want to replace the seats, add a gas tank, and that's pretty much it.

Should I paint the interior of the boat? Seems like that would be a good idea. If you have any recs or ideas on what you would do to it please share it here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I add a drain plug to it? It has these four tiny in it but those don't drain anywhere. All boats I've ran in the past had drain plugs.

I used to be a parasail captain so I am not new to boats, but I am new to outboards and boats of this size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can't tell, I have been treating it with teak oil (have a teak table) and it is liking that. I found this thread
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/riptide-minirip-rigged-for-a-keys-mission.74516/

and that is my boat inspo for sure. I think adding in a hatch to the front would make sense and stiffen up the hull. I am also thinking about building in a gas tank/cooler area in the middle. To again stiffen it up and create some more space.

The wood is a little bendy. I was thinking to beef that up but I am not sure what would be the best approach.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd clean that I interior real goog, no since in repaint. It has a non skid surface in the paint. The seat slats can easily be replaced and will always have a bit of five to them, the hull needs some flexibility in it so don't try to make it solid.

Drain plug could be useful but so is a bailing bucket, or just a simple hope he sponge. The last Indian river saddleback I owned was the non tunnel model and had a sealed compartment attached to the square stern that was filled with foam, so beware when you start your install of a plug.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ive had a regular 12ft indian river now for close to 20 years, repainted the floors with plain ole house paint a few years ago and redid the seats. loaded it up with camping gear, and caught many bass.The only weak spot on the whole thing is the plastic handle/cap on the bow replaced with starboard enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts