Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new 11wt, the rod will serve double duty between Tarpon and Musky, and everything in between. I’ll be throwing anything from 11wt titan full sinking lines, to True weight floating lines.

Is a one piece rod a noticeable upgrade over a 4 piece? Performance is #1, but if the difference in swing weight/action is negligible then I will just get the 4 piece for portability.

Options:
Zephrus 11wt one piece or 4 piece
H3
Sage Salt HD or X
Gloomis NRX one piece or 4 piece
Open to other options as well

·
Registered
984 Posts
I will say the H3 is a really sweet stick! I am waiting to throw a Meridian with a couple of lines before making my own decision for an 11 wt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will say the H3 is a really sweet stick! I am waiting to throw a Meridian with a couple of lines before making my own decision for an 11 wt.
Yeah, I haven't heard a lot of information about the H3 in big game sizes, but have been impressed with the 8wt and 6wt I have fished. I have heard that the 10wt H3 is nice as well, but have no hands on experience. I just wonder how it compares to the other high end offerings.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love one pieces. I have only used the nrx 1 piece, but really enjoy it. If you like gloomis and the nrx line it won’t let you down. I’m sure the others a great, it’s going to be hard to go wrong with that list of rods.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love one pieces. I have only used the nrx 1 piece, but really enjoy it. If you like gloomis and the nrx line it won’t let you down. I’m sure the others a great, it’s going to be hard to go wrong with that list of rods.
I have never even fished an NRX. I have played with an 8wt h2 1 piece and it was magical.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah, I haven't heard a lot of information about the H3 in big game sizes, but have been impressed with the 8wt and 6wt I have fished. I have heard that the 10wt H3 is nice as well, but have no hands on experience. I just wonder how it compares to the other high end offerings.
I want to try the meridian, but I did bonk a sea-turtle at 80'. My buddy let me borrow it so I didn't have to throw my 12 all day, it was the first time I had picked up that rod ever. I can't say I have ever been that accurate with any big game rod, at least not yet or since.

G

·
0 Posts
I use the Meridian 11 for tarpon and love it. Great feel and accuracy. I also have the Sage Salt and RPLXi. The Salt is a little stiffer than the Meridian but just as accurate.

Caught this girl in Homosassa on the Meridian.
IMG_9519.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looking to get a new 11wt, the rod will serve double duty between Tarpon and Musky, and everything in between. I’ll be throwing anything from 11wt titan full sinking lines, to True weight floating lines.

Is a one piece rod a noticeable upgrade over a 4 piece? Performance is #1, but if the difference in swing weight/action is negligible then I will just get the 4 piece for portability.

Options:
Zephrus 11wt one piece or 4 piece
H3
Sage Salt HD or X
Gloomis NRX one piece or 4 piece
Open to other options as well
Sure there is a difference between a one piece and a four piece. But I assume that if you are planning to use it for both tarpon and musky, you will be traveling by air. A one piece fly rod is a nightmare to transport by air. I just don't trust baggage handlers with my rods. If I was always going to drive, then I might consider a one piece, maybe. But no to flying. I only use my one piece on my home water where no trave and involved. I love that rod. But it is pretty much limited to my home water.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure there is a difference between a one piece and a four piece. But I assume that if you are planning to use it for both tarpon and musky, you will be traveling by air. A one piece fly rod is a nightmare to transport by air. I just don't trust baggage handlers with my rods. If I was always going to drive, then I might consider a one piece, maybe. But no to flying. I only use my one piece on my home water where no trave and involved. I love that rod. But it is pretty much limited to my home water.
Im in Georgia, so It’ll be loaded in the flats boat headed to Florida, or in a rod vault or boat headed for Tennessee. Although, yes, a 4 piece would definitely make traveling easier.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
You'll want the 4 piece 11wt anyway since you'll be traveling with it. The Hardy Zephyrus SWS 11 is a sweet stick. The 1pcs is slightly faster than the 4pcs, but I really don't think that will be an advantage overall with both species. Plus, I like the heavier weight rods (10-13) to have a bit more "give and feel" than my mid weight rods from 6-9wts, which I like them to be light weight, extra fast and crisp. Those heavier rods are typically stiffer to carry the heavier lines, so even if a heavier rod feels light in-hand and light on the swing in the fly shop without a line strung up on it, with a line loaded and and casting in average wind conditions, it will feel broomsticky and heavy on the swing, whereas with the bigger rods with a little more "give" (or in other words, a slightly slower action), it will actually feel a little lighter on the swing. Personally, I would just stick with the 4pcs, as you say, for the portability of it and the way it helps the rod load quicker and feel slightly easier on the swing, in case you are doing a fair amount of blind casting, so it wouldn't wear you out as fast.

I hope that made sense to you. ;)

Ted Haas

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have fished the H3 10 wt. a lot and it is a magical stick. I found the 11 wt. a little stiff at first but it’s a casting machine as well. But I also like the Meridian 12 which really feels like 11.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The local flyshop is getting me an Echo EPR in 11wt to test cast. If the 11wt matches the action of the 8wt but just beefed up I have high hopes for it to be a perfect tarpon stick.

I think the EPR is the poor mans NRX.. it reminds me of the action but just slightly heavier.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have fished the H3 10 wt. a lot and it is a magical stick. I found the 11 wt. a little stiff at first but it’s a casting machine as well. But I also like the Meridian 12 which really feels like 11.
Do you happen to know what line you tried on the H3 11wt?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the sage X in a 10 or 11wt?
Cast the Sage X 10 in a parking lot along with a Scott Meridian and an NRX. I liked the X a lot. Felt like a nice all round rod, fast, not too fast. Very castable. But on a 40* day with a tropical line on pavement it wasn’t the best test. May buy one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts