Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

10wt reel

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Bonecracker 
#1 ·
riptide or ccfx2 10/12? What do you think is better and why? Looking for a new reel

#4 ·
I don't think you could go wrong with either, however you're kind of going either side of the spectrum as far as weight goes. If possible, put them both on whatever rod you plan on using it with and see how the swing weight feels. Go with whichever feels more balanced and has a lighter swing weight. Just bc the ccf-x2 is lighter on paper doesn't mean it'll have a lighter swing weight. Also whatever you have a preference for as far as sealed vs cork drag may weigh in on this. If you prefer to do your own maintenance then the Tibor might be for you as I believe cracking open the sealed drag on a Nautilus might void the warranty.

That being said, I'm a fan of Tibor for the simplicity and quality. I'm also a huge fan of the Ted Jaracsik story.

#5 ·
Tibor fan boy here, sooo I would say Riptide all the way. I love mine! In my opinion, once you start getting into a 10wt or above when you REALLY need a legit drag, the bullet proof reliability of the unsealed cork holds a lot of merit. Obviously the nautilus is lighter and in rods under a 10 wt when you want to be feather light, it may make more sense. But you are likely not blind casting all day with your 10 wt so weight is less of a factor. I use Tibors on all weights but like I said, I am biased. I totally understand the whole light weight sealed drag vs heavy unsealed cork drag argument but when you get into a 10 wt or above, I say go reliable, go bullet proof, go cork, go Tibor. (New slogan perhaps?)

#7 · (Edited)
Both are super stand up reels IMO, however the Riptide has been around for a long time and has been tested over time for durability and the CCF-x2 is basically the new kid on the block with the cooler look and lighter and has loads of great reviews that stand behind the reel. It'd be down to what preferences you have and the rod you are putting it on. Sure the Riptide is heavier, but that may come in handy as a counter balance if the rod leans towards being stiff and you want to help flex the rod your rod turn over during your casting stroke. There is such a thing as balancing the reel to the rod and lighter is not always better especially in rods from 10wt rods and up. But if you are one of those heros where you are casting overhead all the time where your hand is above your head when casting it (which I don't recommend) than you'll want to lean to a lighter reel, which the CCF-x2 is.

One is an unsealed cork drag and the other is a seal composite drag. Both drags are silky smooth, both start up inertia is low and long runs reel dumping is no problems (no heat with either). Ted J. is definitely a decent guy and the boys at Nautilus are also stand up.

For what you need it for, it's splitting hairs. So find out what's most important to you, even feel and cast both reels in a demo on the rod you are choosing with the line you are choosing and see how it balances the rod and the casting.

Ted H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.