Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Tibor are made by a machinist and have been made the same way forever. It's like holding a fine watch in your hand. That is a strong positive. The negative is they are much heavier and I believe still use a cork "old school" drag. If you like fishing a vintage piece of history and don't mind the weight, that's your reel. If you want something modern and lighter you can't feel bad about a Nautilus NVG or a used NV if you can find one.
I'll put that old school cork drag up against any stacked washer sealed drag for smoothness and reliability any day all day. That "vintage piece of history" as you call it, holds more world records than any other fly reel for a reason.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My comment was with great reverence. I am well aware of those records and their holders. That was the history I was referring to. If you fished a tibor for those reasons it would make total sense. I do not like their weight in a modern faster rod. It wears down my arm in a day of casting and doesn't balance as well. For its price point, and really at any price point for lightness and forward thinking technology in a reliable American made and serviced platform the Nautilus has few peers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was fishing on the gulf in Texas and the tide came in with this sandy almost slimy water but there were ton of fish in it. After a few dunkings landing fish, both our reels began to seize up from this fine grit suspended in the water. I have a non-sealed drag on my Galvan Torque 8, and my friend had a sealed Sage 8 wt reel. I was able to take my Galvan Torque apart in the water and rinse it off and start fishing again. My buddy was out of commission while the bite was still on. Sealed drags will mess you up if water gets past them. On my Sage One 10 wt, I have Colton Terrapin 10-12 with a sealed drag, but this thing is bullet proof with a real seal that won't let water pass through. The Hatch is good, but the Tibor is the one that I would count on the most. I do know of a few problems with Hatches seals, but you are probably good as long it stays on the boat or in clean water. Anyway, now you can rig one up with a sink tip and the other with a floating.

·
Registered
190 Posts
the current hatch fanatic 2 series addresses the drag seal issue and the older models can all be upgraded to the new version (and will be for any warrantee issues). Sent all mine in for an upgrade. Been very happy with their service.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts