Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I recently bought the Galvan torque in 10 wt size and its a beast but will say it takes a few turns to tighten drag, but it does have a powerful drag on it. Tibor and Hatch are fine as well. I own a Hatch 7+ and not positive which I like more between the Galvan and Hatch. I personally would avoid the Ross Evolution as it doesn't seem to have the strongest drag from my experience and I like Ross Reels.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I have two Nautilus reels for my 10wts... one that winds right hand, the other left hand and I change them depending on my angler’s needs...

Can’t say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Galvan reels are worth a look. I have a Grip in 8wt and a Torque in 10wt. Really light reels and I love the CNC work.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have two Nautilus reels for my 10wts... one that winds right hand, the other left hand and I change them depending on my angler’s needs...

Can’t say enough good things about them.
My only complaint is that they are so light, you don't want to drop them on a hard floor since if could bend the outer pool or frame. Hatch is similar. On the other hand, I am pretty sure dropping a Tibor would crack the floor and not hurt the reel. :). Exaggeration of course, but they are built sturdy for a reason.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Most modern reels are as lightweight as possible, given what the designer meant them to do... None of them are bulletproof as compared to reels from 30 to 40 years ago...

I actually have two Billy Pates (a Tarpon and a Bonefish) as well as a FinNor #2 Classic... Each one is nearly damage proof and they’re certainly what I’d want in a place like the Amazon - but none of them are particularly lightweight.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,061 Posts
I have a thing for the older Ross reels like the Momentum's and the Momentum LT's. The Ross Canyon Big Games are bullet proof reels with really good drags too.

Reactions: Plantation

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,141 Posts
Here’s my 2 cents
I have an old 7 wt. SA that I’ve caught, bone fish, permit, red fish, bass etc On it. I still use it match with an old Sage II
I have a bunch of fly rods and none have the same reel on them
If you want to be frugal and practical buy a Redington if you want to brag get a Tibor

·
Registered
200 Posts
A lightly used Abel #3 is probably the very best value in this size reel. With just a little looking you should be able to buy a nearly new one for $300 or less. Spools go around $100 ish. They are bomb proof and beautifully made.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ended up defaulting to my preferred brand and got another Hatch. I just couldn't get comfortable with having an unsealed drag

·
Registered
240 Posts
Picked up a 10wt Sage SALT (not the HD) recently and looking for reel recommendations. I tend to default towards Hatch Finatics, but looking for reel and maybe line advice from others that have thrown this rod. On the short list currently: Hatch 9+, Galvan Toque 10, Tibor The Riptide, and Ross Evolution R Salt.
You certainly can't go wrong with the Hatch or the Tibor, both great quality reels. I'm here in La too, I use an 8wt for all of my redfishing, even bulls and it's plenty, but if you go after Pontchartrain Permit (jacks), you'll be glad you have the 10. I've seen a number of people mention sealed drags. Don't let that sway you off of a Tibor. I've had an Everglades since the late 90's, the reel has had miles of line stripped off of it under drag, has been dunked in the salt, dropped in the sand and abused pretty much every way you can think of, and it still performs absolutely flawlessly. While the standard Tibor's aren't a sealed drag, once that cork drag is lubricated and contacts the back of the spool, it's staying there and nothing is getting between there. No argument can be made against the reliability of Tibor reels and the drag they have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You certainly can't go wrong with the Hatch or the Tibor, both great quality reels. I'm here in La too, I use an 8wt for all of my redfishing, even bulls and it's plenty, but if you go after Pontchartrain Permit (jacks), you'll be glad you have the 10. I've seen a number of people mention sealed drags. Don't let that sway you off of a Tibor. I've had an Everglades since the late 90's, the reel has had miles of line stripped off of it under drag, has been dunked in the salt, dropped in the sand and abused pretty much every way you can think of, and it still performs absolutely flawlessly. While the standard Tibor's aren't a sealed drag, once that cork drag is lubricated and contacts the back of the spool, it's staying there and nothing is getting between there. No argument can be made against the reliability of Tibor reels and the drag they have.
I'll get a Tibor eventually for sure, and you're definitely right for my target species with the 10wt. I typically use either a 8wt or 6wt when I'm targeting reds in bayous. I got a Hatch because they've always been good to me, annnnd you tend to go with what brand you get your discount with haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
You presume correct in terms of target species, and the reason I asked is for advice from people that have thrown the Sage SALT so I could get a feel for what balances well. I had looked at the Nautilus CCF X2 as well, and who doesn't love their "TESTED ON ANIMALS" slogan haha. My current leaning is the Hatch because they've never let me down, I have a 2+, a 5+, and 2 7+ Finatics. I was also torn on the Tibor...it doesn't have a sealed drag yet Lefty and Flip swore by them. Buy once cry once in effect, don't want to buy and then regret what I get.
I would suggest all reels mentioned are high quality and very good. One important difference between the Hatch and the Nautilus is that Nautilus has a 3 main pieces to their reel (frame, line arbor and foot) and the Hatch has 2 in that their reel seat is part of the frame. That for me was a deal breaker. If you bend the frame or have an issue or want to change cosmetics and colors the Hatch is harder to deal with. Also I believe this is still true (I have among many other Nautilus reels a 10W NV) the Nautilus reels are the lightest in their class, sometimes by a wide measure. I have my 10 W NV on a Sage Salt and it balances incredibly well. I also have used it on my back up 10 W (an Edge by Gary Loomis - used it in the Amazon) and that rod is lighter and it balances well in the hand too. Most of my Nautilus reels were purchased in 2008-2010 when I started fly fishing. I fish say 3 times a month and I fish hard. They have never let me down, and the 9 weight NV which I use the most has been serviced twice when the drag made noise (still worked as new but made a funky noise) and still looks like it should be in the showcase at a fly shop. I wash them after each trip on the boat, whether or not they get used, clean the lines and keep them in their covers unless I'm casting them. I also live in FL and they are made in Miami. They also just won small business of the year and went to Washington and presented a reel to the president. That wasn't meant to be political that was meant to cheer on an American success story.
One man's opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would suggest all reels mentioned are high quality and very good. One important difference between the Hatch and the Nautilus is that Nautilus has a 3 main pieces to their reel (frame, line arbor and foot) and the Hatch has 2 in that their reel seat is part of the frame. That for me was a deal breaker. If you bend the frame or have an issue or want to change cosmetics and colors the Hatch is harder to deal with. Also I believe this is still true (I have among many other Nautilus reels a 10W NV) the Nautilus reels are the lightest in their class, sometimes by a wide measure. I have my 10 W NV on a Sage Salt and it balances incredibly well. I also have used it on my back up 10 W (an Edge by Gary Loomis - used it in the Amazon) and that rod is lighter and it balances well in the hand too. Most of my Nautilus reels were purchased in 2008-2010 when I started fly fishing. I fish say 3 times a month and I fish hard. They have never let me down, and the 9 weight NV which I use the most has been serviced twice when the drag made noise (still worked as new but made a funky noise) and still looks like it should be in the showcase at a fly shop. I wash them after each trip on the boat, whether or not they get used, clean the lines and keep them in their covers unless I'm casting them. I also live in FL and they are made in Miami. They also just won small business of the year and went to Washington and presented a reel to the president. That wasn't meant to be political that was meant to cheer on an American success story.
One man's opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Tibor are made by a machinist and have been made the same way forever. It's like holding a fine watch in your hand. That is a strong positive. The negative is they are much heavier and I believe still use a cork "old school" drag. If you like fishing a vintage piece of history and don't mind the weight, that's your reel. If you want something modern and lighter you can't feel bad about a Nautilus NVG or a used NV if you can find one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The Tibor are made by a machinist and have been made the same way forever. It's like holding a fine watch in your hand. That is a strong positive. The negative is they are much heavier and I believe still use a cork "old school" drag. If you like fishing a vintage piece of history and don't mind the weight, that's your reel. If you want something modern and lighter you can't feel bad about a Nautilus NVG or a used NV if you can find one.
Looks like I just scored a Tibor for super cheap on an auction I forgot I bid on, so I ended up with a Hatch and a Tibor. Yay for me...but now to break it to the wife that I got two reels when I said I was going to get just one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like I just scored a Tibor for super cheap on an auction I forgot I bid on, so I ended up with a Hatch and a Tibor. Yay for me...but now to break it to the wife that I got two reels when I said I was going to get just one.
Use them both. see what you like and balances better. Market them better (I've sold a boat and a lot of gear right here). Then by a used Nautilus and see what you have been missing. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
My only complaint is that they are so light, you don't want to drop them on a hard floor since if could bend the outer pool or frame. Hatch is similar. On the other hand, I am pretty sure dropping a Tibor would crack the floor and not hurt the reel. :). Exaggeration of course, but they are built sturdy for a reason.
Exactly. but you can cast a Nautilus all day so you wouldn't drip it. But if you drop it its an easier repair than the one piece hatch.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts