Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 10wt Sage SALT (not the HD) recently and looking for reel recommendations. I tend to default towards Hatch Finatics, but looking for reel and maybe line advice from others that have thrown this rod. On the short list currently: Hatch 9+, Galvan Toque 10, Tibor The Riptide, and Ross Evolution R Salt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a Tibor Gulfstream on my 10wt, primarily to fish tarpon in the 40-80# class. Every so often a big girl +100#s will come along and the extra backing gives me confidence I won’t get spooled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like Lamson for reels. They have some heavier weights. the cobalt is the model. And I love the ignitor line from orvis for salt.

·
waterman 16
249 Posts
When I couldn't find a used Riptide, I bought an essentially new Islander LA 4.0W. On fish to near 100#, it has been flawless. Really a solid reel, IMO.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends on your budget.
After using Van Staals for years, I am really liking the Abel SDS and Siegler.
Sage makes a less expensive good lightweight reel as well.

mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Touchy subject amongst most as we all have reels we gravitate towards and like over others for one reason or another. I have loved my nautilus reels (American made) and have them from Monsters down to a couple Ccf/x2 8/10 and 10/12 and nv 9/10. All have performed flawlessly from 140lb tarpon to slot reds on 12-8wt rods. I like the wider range of drag but some prefer a much shorter drag range such as within one full turn of the knob.

I see you are from NOLA so I presume you’re chasing bull reds in the marsh or barrier islands primarily with your 10wt or perhaps jacks and ling (lemonfish). In truth, I think most reels you mentioned are up to the task. Since presumably you are primarily fishing salt water, gravitate to the fully sealed drags. They will save you heartache in the long run as salt water will wreak havoc on a reel over time even if you wash them well after each use and even lubricate them. Find a reel wt you like that balances your rod and you will be pleased.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
211 Posts
I'm not hooked on a particular brand but have a few prerequisites in my order of importance:

1. balance on rod with line

2. sealed drag

3. backing capacity

4. aesthetics with rod

5. drag adjustability

I’ve listed drag adjustability last on my list because I can work with those reels with one turn drags or reels with multiple turn drags. I have four SW fly rods 8 - 11 WT with four brands of reels; Nautilus, Abel, Hardy, Orvis so a particular brand is not my criteria.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Touchy subject amongst most as we all have reels we gravitate towards and like over others for one reason or another. I have loved my nautilus reels (American made) and have them from Monsters down to a couple Ccf/x2 8/10 and 10/12 and nv 9/10. All have performed flawlessly from 140lb tarpon to slot reds on 12-8wt rods. I like the wider range of drag but some prefer a much shorter drag range such as within one full turn of the knob.

I see you are from NOLA so I presume you’re chasing bull reds in the marsh or barrier islands primarily with your 10wt or perhaps jacks and ling (lemonfish). In truth, I think most reels you mentioned are up to the task. Since presumably you are primarily fishing salt water, gravitate to the fully sealed drags. They will save you heartache in the long run as salt water will wreak havoc on a reel over time even if you wash them well after each use and even lubricate them. Find a reel wt you like that balances your rod and you will be pleased.
You presume correct in terms of target species, and the reason I asked is for advice from people that have thrown the Sage SALT so I could get a feel for what balances well. I had looked at the Nautilus CCF X2 as well, and who doesn't love their "TESTED ON ANIMALS" slogan haha. My current leaning is the Hatch because they've never let me down, I have a 2+, a 5+, and 2 7+ Finatics. I was also torn on the Tibor...it doesn't have a sealed drag yet Lefty and Flip swore by them. Buy once cry once in effect, don't want to buy and then regret what I get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Colton Terrapin is what I use on my Loomis NRX or CCGLX #10's. I find it balances the heavier tip of the CCGLX well and is plenty light for me.

The sealed drag is bombproof - I've left that reel buried in the surf/sand a ton and it doesn't care, and the drag is solid (crazy strong). The fact that it's much less expensive than other high-end reels and the owner (Bob) is a great guy to talk to doesn't hurt, either.

My lighter rods have the Nautilus CCF X2 because the drag is a bit smoother (start-up inertia) and has a wider range of adjustment. They are also bomb-proof in my experience and also on the less expensive side of high-end reels. Would not hesitate to put one of the CCF X2's on my heavier rods. Those are awesome reels.

I also had concerns over backing capacity, so just used Hatch backing to increase it. I haven't needed it so far but there's always tomorrow 😂.

From my perspective a sealed drag is more relevant if you are, like me, primarily fishing on foot (Texas flats and especially the surf) where the reel will inevitably get dunked, covered in sand, etc. If I were fishing out of a boat most of the time I would love a Tibor or Abel. Those reels are classic and have stood the test of time.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
On other quick thought: If you get a sealed drag, get one with an absolutely bomb-proof reputation.

If not, I'd just go with a Tibor or Abel so that if you do need to clean or fix the drag, you can take it apart.

What you do not want is a sealed drag that still lets saltwater into the drag - that's the worst of both worlds.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
470 Posts
Picked up a 10wt Sage SALT (not the HD) recently and looking for reel recommendations. I tend to default towards Hatch Finatics, but looking for reel and maybe line advice from others that have thrown this rod. On the short list currently: Hatch 9+, Galvan Toque 10, Tibor The Riptide, and Ross Evolution R Salt.
Have a look at Harfin reels made in Australia. Their website is not the greatest with regards to information but his facebook page shows a lot of nice color combinations.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My go too bull redfish outfit is a Sage SaltHD 10wt and an Abel SDS 9/10. My second rod, usually rigged with a crab, is a Sage Salt 9wt and an Abel SDS 9/10. You may notice a trend here.....lol.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
"Balance" is overrated when it comes to larger rods. You need stopping power. I fish Tibor on my 10 and 12s. Had two Ross reels fail on me more than once (they probably have improved). One time was during a fight with a marlin - that's unforgivable.

The size drag on a Lamson just is underpowered for fish you'll target with a 10. I've caught up to 80 lb tarpon on a 10 - no offense to Lamson, I have some of their reels for 6 and 8 wt backups, but they lack the stopping power. Plus, their "sealed" drag can get water in it - I've had it fail on me.

Nautilus should be considered - silky smooth drag, great stopping power, and the weight is one of the lightest in its class if you are concerned about balance. Tibors are bullet proof, but make sure to loosen the drag when storing (should do this with all reels) and give it a good greasing once a year. You can buy all replacement parts directly from Tibor - I carry a packet with them on trips with me in case anything acts up. You can't say that for any other reel. Plus, there is nothing like the sound of a Tibor.

A lot of people love Hatch, but I've heard several first hand accounts of their drag failing, so I've avoided.

Now for those big reds in LA, I fish an 8 or 9 wt with a Nautilus - same rod and reel I use for permit and bones. It has the stopping power to get it done. First fish I caught on a Nautilus reel was a permit and I LOVED how easy it was to fine tune the drag depending on what the fish was doing. Some drags are a PITA to adjust during a fight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just purchased a Nautilus CCF X2 10/12 for a 11wt meridian this will be my 3rd nautilus reel. Can’t beat them... great drag being smooth, powerful and sealed, light reels and they look killer, love the big knobs on them and the the noise in and out is Awesome!

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Lamson Cobalt is a tank, I’d have no hesitation to recommend it. It has an indexed and numbered drag, each increment increases the drag by 1/2 pound, so dialing it in is super easy. It is also certified waterproof by an independent tester- the only actually “waterproof” reel on the market to my knowledge.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts