Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched at OR on a high tide around 7:15 a.m. and was excited about the prospects of fishing the outgoing water all day. But, the weatherman lied again and winds were strong out of the ESE, so we stayed primarily on the inside, fishing the backcountry creeks and coves. The trout bite was on and we caught all we wanted, mostly on top water lures. Most of the fish were in the 12" to 15" range, but we did land a few up to about 20". We sprinkled in a few jacks and lady fish and a nice grouper, but no reds and no snook. Overall, a very nice day except for the wind.
fullsizeoutput_4f65.jpeg

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
We were there on Tuesday and Wednesday both inside and outside... On the outside from Rabbit Key south down to the Chatham we found lots of snook, reds, and trout - but all of them were small... The only exception was a nice over-slot snook at the mouth of the Chatham at the bottom of the tide... I was getting out my camera and all - but it finally wore through the 30lb leader... Both days all we needed was a small leadhead with a Gulp tail - all day long... We did run up the Huston -then across down a bay or two - but none of the spots we fished were holding much at all. We did find a few medium to larger tarpon outside in one channel - and a few small ones up inside one of the bays we checked... but none that were in feeding mode.

Water temps are definitely dropping now - but the inside areas haven't turned on (at least where we looked...). I'll be back over at Flamingo in a day or two and I expect all of the coastal areas will be holding fish as the migration inside doesn't seem to have gotten underway...

Just nothing like the 'glades - and great fishing report DB....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts