Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 2500 size spinning reel for lighter inshore fishing will be on 8-17lb rods primarily fished with live bait. These will be used for people who I fish with who maybe are a little knew or younger kids and I don't trust with my nicer stuff. I want them to be fairly durable and stand up to the elements. There seem to be a few in this price range and have never had my hands on any of them so I figured I would ask here before buying them. The few I have looked at are the Daiwa Eliminator, Fuego LT, and Exceler LT. I have also considered the Shimano NASCI. What have ya'll had good or bad experiences with? Thanks.

I have some larger BG's and like them but for my situation the colors not going to match the rods (stupid I know).

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I’ve had very good luck with Penn Battle II reels. I’m using the 4000 size. I have a pair of them in hard commercial service... They’re mounted on the lightest rods on my skiff.

Here’s a tip... I like to use a reel that’s one size larger than what you think you need... and they last a lot longer than the smaller ones. Pretty cheap to buy as well.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Don't know which ones to recommend, but I have bought a couple of them and they have held up well in the salt. I fly fish 99.9% of the time, so I haven't given them the hard use that others might. However, I have heard a lot of good things about them, and much of it from hardcore fishermen. My perception is that they are well-made. solid reels for a great price.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
722 Posts
Agree about Daiwa BG. Have gradually transitioned from Shimano Symetres (Nasci predecessor) and Penn Battle IIs. I'll admit I don't take great care of my tackle, and the Symetres just didn't hold up. The Battle IIs have been very reliable, but they're a little on the heavy side. Same "color scheme" as the BG too.

The BGs have a more refined "feel" and are holding up well so far.

A guide friend of mine uses Pflueger Presidents, which are half the price of the others, and says they hold up and fish well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Another vote for the Diawa BG. I've always used Shimano Stradics and still have some, but when I was last reel shopping I didn't really see anything that justified the extra $90 for the stradic over the BG.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
I’ve had very good luck with Penn Battle II reels. I’m using the 4000 size. I have a pair of them in hard commercial service... They’re mounted on the lightest rods on my skiff.

Here’s a tip... I like to use a reel that’s one size larger than what you think you need... and they last a lot longer than the smaller ones. Pretty cheap to buy as well.
Wholeheartedly agree. And my Battle IIs have been tanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Pflueger Supreme, the non-XT model is my favorite kinda cheap reel. I use a 30 size and have yet to find anything inshore I couldn't whip with it aside from a big Tarpon. I cast probably thousands of times every trip out and don't feel like the extra line capacity of a larger reel is worth it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I fish a 3k Nasci (better retrieve than 2500, same weight) and 2500 Fuego LT regularly for inshore. I like the Nasci slightly better. Out of a kayak so they get wet. The Fuego does flex more on bigger fish, but so far..... I also fish 1000 size quite a bit for in shore. Pretty amazing what you can catch on 10lb braid. Too many reels ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't know which ones to recommend, but I have bought a couple of them and they have held up well in the salt. I fly fish 99.9% of the time, so I haven't given them the hard use that others might. However, I have heard a lot of good things about them, and much of it from hardcore fishermen. My perception is that they are well-made. solid reels for a great price.
I have two of the Okuma Custom Black series (the 45 and 55) and they are some of the smoothest reels I've come across. Haven't had them terribly long but the power and feel of it, I'm very happy. I know West Marine was blowing out the rod/reel combos not too long ago. I believe sub $100 for the combo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a fan of the newer BG but I do order after market roller bearings for them since they don't come with them. They have plastic bushings. They require two and can be purchased for around $4 a piece.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm a fan of the newer BG but I do order after market roller bearings for them since they don't come with them. They have plastic bushings. They require two and can be purchased for around $4 a piece.
Where do you purchase those?
Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
If I was getting new reels it would be a toss up between battle 2's and BG's. Just waiting for my fierces to need replacing. Going on 8 years now with almost no maintenance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts