Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in at Port of the isles Friday morning and headed to hog key for two days of relaxation and some fishing. Sight cast and hooked one snook but he got me on an oyster bar and got the better of my 30 lb leader and stole a z man swim bait
IMG_20190201_101817043.jpg
IMG_20190202_075212177.jpg
IMG_20190202_191750170.jpg
IMG_20190202_133323718.jpg
IMG_20190201_161042617.jpg
IMG_20190201_161101652.jpg
IMG_20190201_161056631.jpg
IMG_20190202_135857115.jpg
IMG_20190202_081555879.jpg
and managed a half dozen trout on a 5 weight with two keepers for dinner. Was a good time it's always fun down there. Here are some pictures of the weekend.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
101 Posts
Put in at Port of the isles Friday morning and headed to hog key for two days of relaxation and some fishing. Sight cast and hooked one snook but he got me on an oyster bar and got the better of my 30 lb leader and stole a z man swim bait View attachment 59730 View attachment 59732 View attachment 59734 View attachment 59736 View attachment 59740 View attachment 59742 View attachment 59746 View attachment 59748 View attachment 59744 and managed a half dozen trout on a 5 weight with two keepers for dinner. Was a good time it's always fun down there. Here are some pictures of the weekend.
living the dream , keep on keeping on

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just nothing like the back country - particularly on your own going/doing whatever strikes you each day...
Thanks Bob I have been going down there since the 90's pre the massive boat regatta that it is today. I find myself lost in the exploration and almost forget to fish sometimes. The next one to hog key your welcome for the free firewood I left I tried to burn it all up.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
living the dream , keep on keeping on
Thanks mangoman going back in a few weeks with my uncle next time, it'll be nice to have someone else to haul firewood that's a job in itself. I gathered alot the first day and grabbed a little more in the next morning waiting on the tide so I could get out the boat.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noseums in the morning and evening as usual. Skeeters weren't terrible but minimal wind so if you know hog key there is your answer. If you leave tomorrow my old firewood may still be there it'll last you the first night hard dead mangrove is a bitch with the axe but burns good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sweet, it's magical out there as the sun goes down and the bayboat/pontoon crowd heads back to their condos. I love solo camping, gives you time to think and really unwind. I never did camp on Hog, always timed it so I'd have Whitehorse or Tiger all to myself. Damn if your post doesn't have me thinking about digging out the camping gear!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sweet, it's magical out there as the sun goes down and the bayboat/pontoon crowd heads back to their condos. I love solo camping, gives you time to think and really unwind. I never did camp on Hog, always timed it so I'd have Whitehorse or Tiger all to myself. Damn if your post doesn't have me thinking about digging out the camping gear!
So I just bought my first skiff and the thought of camping to fish like that sounds awesome. Where exactly are these places? Hog key in the Florida keys?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sumware... Here's the chart for that area.... https://charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11430.shtml

Look at the bottom right panel (they expand as you click on them...). There's a reason it's called the Ten Thousand islands....
Found it thanks much guys. Already planning an outing lol. Probably gona scout it out next week on my solo skiff. I’m new to the back country in the west coast. I’ve been to flamingo in the past and noticed the big gators. Any worries about those in the ten thousands?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found it thanks much guys. Already planning an outing lol. Probably gona scout it out next week on my solo skiff. I’m new to the back country in the west coast. I’ve been to flamingo in the past and noticed the big gators. Any worries about those in the ten thousands?
Not like it is further south there are some but nothing crazy like the flamingo area. Just gotta be mindful of the oyster bars.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
U have a link to the tide chart ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts