Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://m.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-tide-killed-267-tons-of-marine-life/70007228

The article says a combo of juvenile and adult reds. Wonder where they are getting the adult reds from. Hopefully it's from a farm and not another fishery. CCA is involved and they have no issues borrowing fish and relocating them for their star tournament. Not to criticize, I love the idea but releasing 10,000 predators in areas depleted of life may not end well. Hope I'm wrong!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
Red drum fry from a Texas Parks and Wildlife hatchery about one inch long are released into Texas bays on a regular schedule. People feel good about the effort.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Along with Duke Energy and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), CCA will begin releasing over 16,000 juvenile and adult redfish in southwest Florida counties beginning in February. The program was announced in the Fall of 2018, and includes the donation of the hatchery-reared redfish from the Duke Energy Mariculture Center in Crystal River, Florida.

Each of the five upcoming releases include approximately 2,000 juvenile fish and 25 to 30 adult redfish per county, all hatchery-reared at the Duke Energy Mariculture Center. Tentative release dates include:

February 5 – Pasco County (Brashers Park, 11 a.m.)

February 7 – Hillsborough County (Cockroach Bay Ramp, 11 a.m.), Pinellas County (Ft. De Soto Park, 3 p.m.)

TBD – Sarasota and Charlotte Counties

TBD – Lee and Collier Counties

TBD – Manatee County

“We’re extremely excited to begin releasing these fish now that the waters are determined to be safe,” said Brian Gorski, CCA Florida Executive Director. “Between these releases, encouraging anglers to catch-and-release and promoting conservation, we’re going to see this fishery improve, and we’re honored to be a part of it.”

“Duke Energy is committed to helping protect and preserve Florida’s natural environment,” said Catherine Stempien, Duke Energy Florida president. “Our Mariculture Center advances environmental stewardship throughout the state by partnering with state/local agencies and universities on restoration projects. The redfish we are donating will have long-term positive environmental impacts in the affected areas and we’re proud to play a small part in the solution to the recent red tide occurrence.”

“We are thankful for the leadership and efforts of CCA and Duke Energy on making this redfish enhancement possible,” said Eric Sutton, FWC Executive Director. “We are proud to be a partner.”

·
"This one time at band camp..."
290 Posts
There was a similar release here close to Dauphin Island, the crab fishermen were pissed about "...10K crab eaters being released."

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wonder what the mortality rate is on released fish like that before they are big enough to breed.
I would be curious on Redfish as well. From reports where the Tennessee wildlife releases Florida Strain largemouth bass on TVA lakes they claim a realistic percentage of fingerling survival is 25%. Not sure how that could be correlated to redfish but that is from the Tennessee wildlife who has a very well run stocking program across that state.

Also for Redfish, studies from LSU say on average a 3 yr old fish is in the upper slot to spawning size.

·
"This one time at band camp..."
290 Posts
I guess you could look at it from the perspective that if only 25% survive then the other 75% went to fattening up the specks you caught in the weeks following the release.
And the skipjacks/ladyfish too.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And practice catch and release

Good luck with that. You can't even get folks on here on board with that. Also would be interesting to see if the bag limits in place now take into consideration the population explosion that FL is experiencing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We can stock fish all day long but if we don’t address our water quality issues and habitat distruction, it’s a fool’s errand. Just like oyster seeding. Would be great to see CCA take on something that requires courage and could result in meaningful change instead of band-aids.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We can stock fish all day long but if we don’t address our water quality issues and habitat distruction, it’s a fool’s errand. Just like oyster seeding. Would be great to see CCA take on something that requires courage and could result in meaningful change instead of band-aids.
Agreed, releasing 10,000 or 100,000 reds in an environment that can't support the food chain is wasted effort.

·
Registered
69 Posts
https://m.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-tide-killed-267-tons-of-marine-life/70007228

The article says a combo of juvenile and adult reds. Wonder where they are getting the adult reds from. Hopefully it's from a farm and not another fishery. CCA is involved and they have no issues borrowing fish and relocating them for their star tournament. Not to criticize, I love the idea but releasing 10,000 predators in areas depleted of life may not end well. Hope I'm wrong!
They getting all those redfish from Louisiana! lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
Marine fish stocking is mostly a public "feel good" strategy. However, the marine hatcheries do help marine biologists understand coastal marine life cycles and possibly provide some guidance in improving habitat conditions for more successful natural survival rates.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have a friend who has been on a CCA team that releases the tagged redfish for the STAR tournament. He told me one time he pulled the transfer trailer up to a pier, grabbed a slot redfish and let it go right in front of an older lady that was fishing off the same pier. She had a "what just happened" look on her face. I have chosen not to enter the STAR for several years, as I am on the fence about it. I will say that it is an ingenious fundraiser.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,287 Posts
I have a friend who has been on a CCA team that releases the tagged redfish for the STAR tournament. He told me one time he pulled the transfer trailer up to a pier, grabbed a slot redfish and let it go right in front of an older lady that was fishing off the same pier. She had a "what just happened" look on her face. I have chosen not to enter the STAR for several years, as I am on the fence about it. I will say that it is an ingenious fundraiser.
A three month fishing tournament that begs people to kill trout over 8 pounds that doesn’t allow live weigh in all in the name of conservation...sounds like a scam to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts