1/4" vertical play in crankshaft, older 2 stroke 25.

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by SClay115, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Motor is a '72 Evinrude 25. Flywheel locked up against the points plate due to the change in height.

Looking at the parts diagrams, it looks like there is a bushing or two at the bottom of the crankshaft, thinking maybe it chewed one of those up. Doesn't seem to me like it would be a bearing, as they are all roller type, and I think if one failed I would see a lot more movement.

Anybody have any tips? Going to try and get the powerhead off tonight, maybe even crack the case apart and see what I am looking at.

Steve

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

:'(

Not supposed to be any vertical play in the crankshaft,
    all those connecting rod assemblies would get tweaked!

3. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Yep, unfortunately I am horribly aware of the consequences of that sort of failure. It was however, running fantastic before this. Now, there is that old saying..."They always run the best right before they blow up"

But I am honestly hoping I can salvage this mill. As long as the bores look clean and I don't need to overbore them, it won't be too painful a rebuild(cost wise)

Steve

4. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

So, pulled everything apart tonight, and here is what I found:

[​IMG]

Knew something was seriously wrong when I pulled the powerhead to hear a solid metallic clanking in there.

Good stuff. Surprisingly, no other damage. Spare motor, remove crank, replace, go on my way!

Steve