06 Mercury 25 EFI alarm

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Damon, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Damon

Damon I Love microskiff.com!

When I got this motor a month ago it only had 21 hours on it. First time I took it out it was running really rough and then red light and alarm. Let it sit awhile and started it back up, ran fine. Since then it mostly has ran like a top, except twice the alarm as come on again with no red light. Once was just as I was pulling back to the ramp, but the other time was in very rough conditions that were causing alot of water to get on the throttle control.

What causes this alarm? Turning the ignition on and off did not make the alarm turn off. When I start it back up the next trip out it will run great. It's peeing water just fine and the oil is good.

Only other thing I noticed is last time I took it out it looked like it might have been leaking excess gas into the water as there was a slight cloud forming around the engine. Is that normal on start up?

This outboard is much more technical than my other single cylinder, carb'd merc. Also I got the little merc brand new, so this 25 is my first used outboard.

2. Damon

Had the boat out today and it ran great. Took a couple waves over the bow and got the throttle wet...alarm stayed on for the rest of the time. Why does this happen? I'm thinking about just disconnecting the speaker.

3. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I wouldnt do that, in case there is another motor error you need to correct like temperature or oil level- that if unchecked could brick your motor block.

There is probably a short somewhere, the water is causing conductivity between two wires.

4. Damon

Wrapped up the wires and no alarm since.