04 mercury 25 gear linkage issue

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Rediculous, May 20, 2013.

1. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

My engine won't go into gear, F or R. I found where a pin is missing at the point where the shaft that runs down to the lower unit connects to the shift linkage at the top. I have no idea what these parts are called, it's obviously missing the pin, I also found the spring that holds the pin in place. Does anyone know what the names of these parts are, I need to order them pronto. Cause I gots to boozle on!

2. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

I took a picture, in case I'm describing the issue wrong. But, photobucket must be having technical difficulties, cause it's jerking me around.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

mine had a plastic spring clip gizmo that broke. Luckily the piece from the motor had a hole and the rod had a hole - fixed it with a cotter pin.

Not fixed properly, just resolved.

4. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

Thanks DN. I'm not sure what the pin what composed of, but the spring was metal. I'll do some more research and tinkering, I suppose.

5. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I believe you're looking for part #11 on this diagram, no spring on it though...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/2004/1025311CD/THROTTLE%20AND%20SHIFT%20LINKAGE%28TILLER%20HANDLE%20SHIFT%29/parts.html

If you need any help with your merc let me know, I rebuilt mine like 4 times.

6. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

Thanks Matt. Until I start getting at it, I won't really understand, what things look like. Here is a pic of the part, the pin goes where the arrow points.
    [​IMG]

7. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Yes, that is the part #11 from above I mentioned.

it's not just a pin. it's a pin connected to a plastic clasp that locks into the shift bar at the front base of the engine block. You slide it in and lock it down.

You need to remove the starter, and possible the fuel filter and the carb if your hands arent small enough to get to replacing it.

8. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

Thanks again Matt. It's ready to install the part and put it back together. Hopefully get the part tomorrow, and get back after all the tailing bulls I was on Saturday.

I see now, the spring I found has nothing to do with this issue. I guess it's just a mystery spring that isn't really important. They put those on mercury's right?

9. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Haha, the only spring I know about on the merc is on the choke plastic assembly.

10. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

That could be it, she doesn't sit long enough to ever have to use the choke.

11. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

There's a spring on the electric starter that disengages the gear. There's also a spring on the needle valve in the carb. There's another spring on the throttle shaft. There's two more springs in the fuel pump. There's yet another spring on the throttle cam...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, unless you count the manual pull start recoil spring, which is too big to really be considered in this case.

EDIT: I was brushing my teeth and remembered that the neutral interlock level on the manual start assembly also has a traditional coil spring. Duh! Can't believe I almost forgot that one! :-[