SOLD/EXPIRED 01' Waterman 18 FS (not mine)

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by hferrell87, Mar 8, 2015.

1. hferrell87

hferrell87 Well-Known Member

Not mine, just ran across it and figured someone on here would like a shot at this... Priced right too!!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/4920525100.html

2. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

Aren't these in the low to mid 30s new? 28k for a 2001 that hasn't been restored is pretty pricey, imo.

3. BCPD199

BCPD199 I Love microskiff.com!

I was thinking the same. Can anyone tell me what the transom is cored with? Is it normal on these to have stress cracks around the upper corners of the transom where the engine mounts?

4. nsbsurfer15

nsbsurfer15 I Love microskiff.com!

Over 40k for a base waterman new. Also, some may see value in that it is a pre 2004 HB which are said to be the best years (lighter, better built)

5. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Overpriced,

And overweight....

6. snookman716

snookman716 I Love microskiff.com!

Cant imagine that boat is going to only go up in value like that ad says.. those were selling for much less a couple years ago till people decided that 99'-04' boats were worth 30k.. but hey like they say the boat is worth what someone will pay. nice waterman.

7. nsbsurfer15

We were also in one of the largest recessions in the nations history a few years ago. lol.

I bought a skiff in the height of the recession and sold it a year ago for almost 6k more than i paid for it.

Not debating the price of this skiff as to whether it is too high or not, just stating that boat values have gone up across the board in the past couple years.

8. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

Feel free to price a new one out.

9. el9surf

Whether it is restored or not is irrelevant if it is in good condition. Used the 18 watermans and 17.8 whips go for low 30's on a regular basis. Seems to be their value currently. Funny how people see a used HB and then get into this whole debate over what they think the price should be. My bet is this goes for another 6 pages.

10. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

I think Eli is talking about the price and weight of new HB's.

11. mdiaz707@gmail.com

mdiaz707@gmail.com I Love microskiff.com!

At least low 40's for a base model Waterman.

12. sickz284u

sickz284u The redfish whisperer!

I checked last year and base price for a 2014 side console waterman with a 60 h.p. outboard was 43k with the galvanized ramlin trailer etc..

13. el9surf

Tack on a couple options, upgrade the trailer, pay tax tag and title and it's very easy to be high 40's low 50's out the door.

14. BCPD199

I'll ask this question again, is it normal to have stress cracking around the transom where the engine bolts on? Would you accept this on a 28k, 14 year old boat? Hell's Bay or not?

15. el9surf

Post some pics. It could be superficial and then again it could be a structural issue due to an impact at some point. Best bet is to have a contingency in place to have it inspected by HB or Glasser if you are thinking about buying it. Mine was built in 2001 and doesn't have any cracks.

16. grovesnatcher

grovesnatcher Well-Known Member

Capt jim check your pm

17. fishman

fishman I Love microskiff.com!

Typical comment about a boat that you don't own. Nothing good to say about the HB because its not yours. I have seen POS boats with the transom falling off, rotten decks and 2000 hr motors that forum members have restored so a little stress crack is not a big problem(95% of boats have them). As for the price $20,000 LESS THAN A NEW ONE. Plenty of room for for any minor repairs. 28,000 is on track for the price of a HB that has been taken care of.

18. BCPD199

First off, you've got it all wrong.  I'm asking because I'm interested in the boat, not to bash it.  I have passed on nicer and cleaner boats from other manufacturers (not to mention cheaper) because I want a Hell's Bay.  But, every boat out there has it's nuances and was wondering if this was common to the brand.

Second, I've seen the boat in person, so I think I have a better vantage than you to determine if it was taken care of or not.  I asked earlier about what the transom core consisted of because when they re-powered it, they over torqued the mounting bolts, compressing the transom and core inwards.  As long as the transom isn't wood, I really don't see a problem, same as the stress cracks.

Now, if every HB owner says yes, those cracks are pretty common in that area, then like I said, no big deal.  It's cosmetic, nothing else.

Again, I'm not knocking the boat or brand, just don't want to get hurt.

19. nsbsurfer15

It is somewhat common in sponson style boats to see some stress cracking in those areas. All just depends how the boat has been run an trailered. 99% of the time it is cosmetic only.

20. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

There are no signs of cracks anywhere in the transom of mine…...