01' hell's bay whipray 16 bow eye repair?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Flyline, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

The bow eye "U" bolt has some fiberglass crack around it and wanted to know if I can put marine tex around it then inside out. Then re- drill a holes to install a new bow eye with bracket inside?

Any tips?

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Contact Kevin at ECC/OCBW I think they have seen that issue once...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

How did it happen? If its normal use then call Hells Bay. I have heard great things about their customer service. They may cover the repair.

4. iMacattack

How? don't know. Blake's post reminded me of the pix on their site. So figured they would be a good source for info on how to fix it.

5. Flyline

It's normal use and shows a small signs of tiny spider crack around the bow eye every time I wrinched it up on the trailer. It's nothing major but wanted to prevented any futher damage.

I will sent a HB a email and see what they said.

6. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

please post pics of skiff.

7. Flyline

Sure!...when I get down to south Florida to pick it up then bring it back to Orlando.

As for right now....it's need new bearings, wheels and tires for Ram-lin trailer.

8. iMacattack

You should be able to get that through ant trailer parts supply store. Not sure where in SoFl it is, but I use Dixie Trailer Supply in Oakland Park.

9. Flyline

Thanks for heads up Jan.

Actually, I'm in Orlando and can run to ram-lin trailer factory in Taft whie it's local.

I can stop by and picked up the parts and wheels, then I can head down there probably next month to get the trailer back on the road.

10. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

If you don't take it to pros to have it repaired, here's what needs to be done to do it right.... Bow eyes should have reinforcing inside the hull... If that area's not properly reinforced you'll end up with what you're seeing. Don't even think about MarineTex for the cracks you can see, worry about the structure underneath. These great little technical skiffs were built to be as light weight as possible. In some areas it's easy to be a little too light weight...

At any rate, remove the bow eye, then grind out the existing reinforcing until you're into clean glass, use a hard wood block shaped precisely to fit the inside vee and glass it into place with several layers of glass that extend an inch or two outside the block onto clean glass (that area needs to be sanded down to clean glass - no gelcoat remaining). Once all is properly cured, then re-drill your mounting holes using the existing ones, then carefully seal the drilled holes with either five minute epoxy or fiberglass resin before re-mounting a new bow eye with backing plate ( a thin ss backing plate should come with a new bow eye). Prior to re-fitting that new bow eye, carefully hand sand the surface areas where you've got gelcoat cracking and re-gelcoat them. Once you've got new gel cured out, carefully water sand it out working all the way down to 800grit paper before compounding and waxing. If you've properly matched the color the repair won't be noticeable. If you done the interior reinforcing properly that new bow eye will be a stronger installation than what was originally there. Good luck.

11. kuzus

kuzus www.fgci.com 800-272-7890

Great reply. Only one thing to add to that. Make sure you completely grind out the gelcoat cracks, going down into the glass if necessary. A dremmel tool is good for this. As with any gelcoat cracks, if you just cover them up, they are likely to reappear.

12. PatKent

PatKent Snook it's whats for dinner

I agree with this being the way to repair it.
    But why wasn't the boat built like this from the factory?

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

May have been, we won't know until we see pictures...hint-hint.

[​IMG]

Looking at the thickness of the hull in this image,
    it appears to have substantial reinforcing to back up the eye.
    You'd have to work at it to cause that much damage.

As a guess I'd think the stress fractures in the gelcoat
    are caused by overtightening the nuts on the back of the eye.

14. hmaadd29

hmaadd29 Well-Known Member

that skiff in the pic had some issues from its previous owner.

I would imagine nothing needs to be done its just surface craks from 9 yrs of winching and trailering