Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

GF-16 Build

68K views 177 replies 33 participants last post by  tomahawk 
#1 ·
OK, here goes. I debated about putting this up on here since its not a HB or anything high tech like Little, Lwalker, oyster or shalla are building...
I'm building a Bateau Garvey 16 stitch and glue for the flats around here.
I wanted to build a boat and I am starting with something fairly simple first. So far I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
My plans are to recess a cooler in the center seat, fabricate a grab bar, extend the rear deck about a foot and either build a small poling platform or use a yeti.
Power will probably be a 20hp 4 stroke or a 25hp 2 stroke.
Here's a couple of pics how she sits now.

Laying it out:

Laying out the curves:

Splicing the side panels together:

It looks like a boat:

See less See more
#2 ·
[smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

I've always loved this design, heck even got a set of the plans! Looks like you're moving on darn quickly, how long from layout to frames in? Do you plan to tab in the bulkheads and then do the exterior glass?

Looking forward to the progress. :cool:

#3 ·
Thanks gramps. I really dig the old school look of these boats to.
I have about 12 hrs into it I reckon. The building notes say to tac glue the frames in then flip it and tape or stitch the bottom on. Then flip it again and glass the inside and finally another flip to glass the outside and bottom... Lotta flipping going on.
I have really enjoyed the building process so far, I'm sure that will change come fairing time.

#5 ·
I'll be following this thread. I looked at ordering a set of plans, but then decided with my schedule, it'd take 10 years to complete. I was going to build a different hull, but not too complex.

Did you order the materials with the plans, or did you buy them yourself elsewhere?

#8 ·
I'll be following this thread.  I looked at ordering a set of plans, but then decided with my schedule, it'd take 10 years to complete.  I was going to build a different hull, but not too complex. 

Did you order the materials with the plans, or did you buy them yourself elsewhere?
I'm pretty local to them so I got the materials from Bateau.

#10 ·
Tomahawk - just thought about it last night, where do you plan to install the gas tank? Now's the time to add a bulkead, cheat the dimensions or add reinforcements. If I recall, a few guys on Bateau had a heck of a time working inside that middle box to install fittings after everything was glassed up.

#11 ·
Tomahawk - just thought about it last night, where do you plan to install the gas tank? Now's the time to add a bulkead, cheat the dimensions or add reinforcements.  If I recall, a few guys on Bateau had a heck of a time working inside that middle box to install fittings after everything was glassed up.
The fuel is going up front. I'm going to glass a chase in for the fuel line, lights and pre wire for a TM. I have no plans for a TM right now just going to pre-rig just in case.

#16 ·
OK, here goes. I debated about putting this up on here...
I'm building a Bateau Garvey 16 stitch and glue...
First time I saw that design I thought, what a joke. That was many many years ago. Every Garvey that I have looked at since that initial assessment has proven me wrong. Do a search of that boat and look at the faces of the guys that are using that boat design. Your boat is looking like just one more excellent build. Sorry, you had hesitation in posting.

#17 ·
OK, here goes. I debated about putting this up on here...
I'm building a Bateau Garvey 16 stitch and glue...
First time I saw that design I thought, what a joke. That was many many years ago. Every Garvey that I have looked at since that initial assessment has proven me wrong. Do a search of that boat and look at the faces of the guys that are using that boat design. Your boat is looking like just one more excellent build. Sorry, you had hesitation in posting.
Thanks iFly. I'm pretty happy with how its going so far. It is a well designed skiff and I'm having a ton of fun with it.

#25 ·
[smiley=waiting.gif]

It's been 2 days, I need more boat building! Haha. Looking nice and clean Tomahawk!  Have you made the decision on the center box & cooler setup?
Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

No, no decisions on the cooler. I see how these builds get bogged down when you don't have a concrete plan of action. Still debating on extending the rear deck forward, poling platform (building vs buying & permanent vs removable. If I go permanent I almost have to extend the rear deck) same with grab bar and putting electrical in the boat or not. I'm almost to the point I'm gonna have to make some decisions.

I'm still laminating rubrails, two more layers on the starboard side and I'm ready to flip it and put the bottom on. Nothing really photo worthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.