Send Topic Print
Hells Bay Guide (Read 1153 times)
WillHWalker
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Burlington NC
Hells Bay Guide
May 14th, 2013 at 7:36pm

I'm looking at an HB Guide but wanted to see if there were any years to stay away from.. Thanks for any help

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
blackmantis
Forum Member

Re: Hells Bay Guide
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2013 at 8:12pm

I wouldn't think so.  According to a salesman at HB there have been no changes to the Guide from the original.

IP Logged

perseverance32
Forum Member

Fort Lauderdale,FL
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2013 at 8:41pm

Nice boat. I have fished mine from Louisiana to the Marquesas. Not a perfect boat by any means but can get a wide variety of things done.  Mine is an 2001 and I am please with the construction. Like most things it depends on how its been treated. I bought mine in 2009 with 98 hours on it.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2013 at 8:41pm by perseverance32 »  

Doing less with more.....

IP Logged

Skiff Junky
Forum Member

I Love microkona.com!

New Port Richey
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2013 at 9:43pm

blackmantis wrote on May 14th, 2013 at 8:12pm:
I wouldn't think so.  According to a salesman at HB there have been no changes to the Guide from the original.

Then it must be true. Cheesy  But have him explain the weight difference for the new models. Wink

I would buy anything 2005 or older Wink

P32 - Nice Bhote  Cool  Yours even lets any newbie catch fish minnows with a buggy whip. Tongue

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2013 at 9:45pm by Skiff Junky »  

IP Logged

danny
Forum Member

homesick

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2013 at 9:53pm

drove/fished one that i wanna say was a 2001 or so quite a bit... i liked it (and i don't love all hb's)... i do know things changed after that... just not sure of what/when. but i think early 2000s were still "good". (i drive a maverick).

IP Logged

PalmettoMoon
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2013 at 6:40pm

Hey Will. I saw on boattrader where there is another Guide for sale in Charleston. It's a 2002, but looks like its in pretty good condition from the pics online.

The new Guides HB is building has changed very little from the original. The only changes I know of in the hull design are that the O'Bannnon edition is know the standard configuration, and they did away with the small front anchor locker.

I think really any year hull is pretty similar to each other.  I would recommend the spray rails, they look kind of ugly but work great. Let me know if you have any questions about the Guide. Mine was a great boat, I'm going to miss it. But I should be getting my new Professional at the end of June, so I'm just counting down the days!

IP Logged

Savannah Red

Savannah, GA
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:14pm

I have a 2000 Obannon Guide.  had it for 12 years and will probably keep it for another 12.  Great hull!  Can pound it bad seas, but will get you home just fine.  Extremely shallow for its size.  Make sure your fuel tank has been replaced or plan on having to do that immediately.

Certified Pole-ates Instructor

IP Logged

swampfox
Forum Member

01 Hells Bay Guide. 07
ECC LOSTMEN-sold

columbia,sc
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2013 at 9:05am

What was the issue with the tank? And can it be pulled without taking the deck off?

IP Logged

WillHWalker
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Burlington NC
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2013 at 7:43pm

PalmettoMoon wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 6:40pm:
Hey Will. I saw on boattrader where there is another Guide for sale in Charleston. It's a 2002, but looks like its in pretty good condition from the pics online.

The new Guides HB is building has changed very little from the original. The only changes I know of in the hull design are that the O'Bannnon edition is know the standard configuration, and they did away with the small front anchor locker.

I think really any year hull is pretty similar to each other.  I would recommend the spray rails, they look kind of ugly but work great. Let me know if you have any questions about the Guide. Mine was a great boat, I'm going to miss it. But I should be getting my new Professional at the end of June, so I'm just counting down the days!

haha yea I was just looking around and saw that one. looks clean!! Still not time to buy yet, just trying to see what my option are. Oh and whats the deal with the tank???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement