microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Re: New *AMBUSH* by Pelican Flats Boats (Read 91360 times)
Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Re: New *AMBUSH* by Pelican Flats Boats
Reply #30 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 7:45pm

The AMBUSH now has non-skid applied and is ready for a mold.  This mold will be made by the end of the week.  Our first AMBUSH will be donated to a Marlin tournament in Biloxi, Mississippi in mid June.  The boat will be put in the silent auction and all proceeds of the bidding will be donated to 4 different sectors of the CCA.   The tournament director helped us design the AMBUSH that is being donated.  We both thought it would be a good idea to mimic yacht style finishes on a much smaller scale by making this one with a mahogany transom and mahogany planked floor.  I will be sharing this build with you all as well.  We are looking forward to finishing this concept and making it readily available to the southern US at an affordable price point.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
After Hours2
Forum Member

Legend in my own Mind!

Orlando
Reply #31 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 3:00pm

PM sent.... Cool

IP Logged

swampfox
Forum Member

01 Hells Bay Guide. 07
ECC LOSTMEN-sold

columbia,sc
Reply #32 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:38am

I like! Smiley Have you tried to mount a push pole on one yet? For those real NMZ. As in no TM either. Looks like it could be a challenge. Also just to give you a heads up. There is already a micro skiff with the name Ambush. Huh Its made by a company that doesn't like people using thier intellectual property. If you know what I mean. Grin Might be easier and cheaper to change the stickers. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:41am by swampfox »  

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:57pm

swampfox wrote on Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:38am:
I like! Smiley Have you tried to mount a push pole on one yet? For those real NMZ. As in no TM either. Looks like it could be a challenge. Also just to give you a heads up. There is already a micro skiff with the name Ambush. Huh Its made by a company that doesn't like people using thier intellectual property. If you know what I mean. Grin Might be easier and cheaper to change the stickers. Wink

The AMBUSH light has not had a pole mounted to it yet, but we have that figured out.  There will be removable push pole holders that are held in place by compression that mount to the side of the boat.  The regular AMBUSH will easily accept push pole holders that will be mounted in a standard fashion.  As far as the name, I am not concerned with the other boat company...  They would have to sue several people for this same infraction.  There are AMBUSHes made by Triton, Gordon, and there is also a jon boat that makes an Ambush.  A word isn't intellectual property.  Our boat is meant for AMBUSHing fish, so that is what we called it.  Every boat name has been used before.... Maverick and ranger mean the same thing, look in a thesauraus.  You will be surprised when you type in boat names what names come up... It is kind of fun.  I appreciate your advice, because I know you mean well.  However, in our eyes, we have an original boat that applies to an original design. 

IP Logged

oysterbreath
Forum Member

Orlando
Reply #34 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 9:46pm

I REALLY like the level of finish you have with the rolled edge version. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a utilitarian craft which is what I would personally want from a watercraft like this. I think you really hit a sweet spot with this craft. Just the right size and apparent stability level for solo tripping. My old flatestalker was too heavy and awkward to car top "on the regular" and TOO small to justify a trailer. The more I think about it, your craft is RIGHT on the money!

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #35 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 7:22pm

oysterbreath wrote on Dec 29th, 2011 at 9:46pm:
I REALLY like the level of finish you have with the rolled edge version. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a utilitarian craft which is what I would personally want from a watercraft like this. I think you really hit a sweet spot with this craft. Just the right size and apparent stability level for solo tripping. My old flatestalker was too heavy and awkward to car top "on the regular" and TOO small to justify a trailer. The more I think about it, your craft is RIGHT on the money!

We really appreciate your comments.  You nailed what we were trying to accomplish with this boat.  It is kind of the "tweener."  It is between a boat and a kayak.  Kind of between a kayak and a paddle board.  It has more stability than a kayak our SUP.  It is literally the perfect flats fishing craft.  Not perfect for ripping around and fishing numerous spots, but good for the fisherman who knows where the fish our at any given time.  For instance, I know there are a gnarly pod of reds at Picnic Island all through October and November who can't resist topwater plugs.  This is my craft of choice.  In the past, I would take my flats boat to the outskirts of the flats and wade in because there were areas that were 3 1/2" deep where I would have to cross to get there.  The AMBUSH will draft 2 3/4" with one man and a pole.  The freeboard is really low so fish don't see you. You can sneak up on them and never get your feet wet.  We are really excited about this little boat and hope everyone sees it's potential like we do.

IP Logged

tarponhunter
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #36 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:08pm

hows the build coming along? i love this boat and the idea that was made a reality. also how do you think this boat would work with a small poling platform on the back?

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #37 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:07pm

tarponhunter wrote on Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:08pm:
hows the build coming along? i love this boat and the idea that was made a reality. also how do you think this boat would work with a small poling platform on the back?

I would recommend more of a fly casting deck with about 20" legs....  That would be about perfect.  I would have a couple of places to mount it.  One for solo fishing (about 3' from the back of the boat) and one for going with a buddy (as far back as possible). 
The AMBUSH molds are done.  We will be building one this week (I need to pick up some mold release...everyone was closed this weekend).  Should be pretty awesome.  In the meantime, we are finishing our FLATS17 and building AMBUSH Lights....  We will have our full product line shortly, and will commence with the marketing.

IP Logged

Flats Maniac
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #38 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:11pm

I saw the light edition on the bragging section and he is putting a motor on it. Looks really awesome. Have you guys rigged one with a motor? Is this something I have to put on a trailer or can it go on top of my car like a kayak? In your thread you have a finished cap version. When is that going to be available? I really like this vessel, it seems like there are so many possibilities with it. Keep the photos coming!

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 6:30pm

Here is another AMBUSH Light that is available.  The color is canary yellow.  It is located at a dealership in Tarpon Springs. We think this color looks pretty cool...  Going to have a powder coated black motor mount attached soon.

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #40 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 6:35pm

Flats Maniac wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:11pm:
I saw the light edition on the bragging section and he is putting a motor on it. Looks really awesome. Have you guys rigged one with a motor? Is this something I have to put on a trailer or can it go on top of my car like a kayak? In your thread you have a finished cap version. When is that going to be available? I really like this vessel, it seems like there are so many possibilities with it. Keep the photos coming!

We haven't rigged one with a motor, however we are confident that it will be quite sweet.  The boat can be transported like a kayak, canoe, or SUP (on a trailer or truck bed, or on top of a car).  The first finished cap version of the AMBUSH will be ready wednesday... 

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #41 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:30pm

Here is the first AMBUSH… Fresh from the molds… Boat 1…  We will be trimming this boat out in the next couple of days and hopefully have it all done by the end of the week.  We intend to hang a 2HP Honda to our custom motor mount, install a set of push pole holders, & install a fly casting deck (mid-ship).  We are encouraging all of you give us your "must haves" on this rig…  If you see something we can add, let us know!

The main differences between this boat and the light are that the regular AMBUSH has the finished hatch up front with a sealed bulkhead, this one gets rub rail, finished deck cap, & it is entirely self-bailing.  After further consideration and building, this boat is going to cost about $2,800 (retail).

IP Logged

After Hours2
Forum Member

Legend in my own Mind!

Orlando
Reply #42 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:15pm

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see this thing tricked out with the motor mount. Got a chance to take the Ambush Light out on the Lagoon Sunday and it performed great. I made a solo run loaded with just a push pole, stick it anchor, paddle, cooler and gear. Dead silent, and it poled like a dream. Could not have been happier with the performance other than the Reds did not want to eat anything thrown in front of them. Next time, I'm going with 2 anglers since the draft and stability were more than sufficient solo. Keep us posted on the finalized version...

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #43 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:51pm

This mount is for our AMBUSH light.  This will be available in 1" square tube (as shown) or 1" round tube aluminum.  This is the prototype and is still unfinished, but you get the point.  We will have a structural cross member near the front of this as well (maybe even have AMBUSH water jetted into it).  This one will be powder coated black.  It will have a small platform area on the back to be used as a place to put your drink holders, tackle station, etc...(or if you dare, a place to stand).
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:52pm by Pelican Flats Boats »  

IP Logged

Pelican Flats Boats
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #44 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 6:48pm

Here are some images from our website that really show the lines on the AMBUSH hull.  I thought I would share this with all of you. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Advertisement